77 XS360 Bogging down and battery dying! Can't figure it out!

cabbott12321

1977 XS360
Reaction score
IF YOU WANT TO SKIP THE LONG STORY PART I HAVE A SHORT SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM BELOW!

I have a 1977 xs360 and I've had a lot of on and off problems with it since I've had it. It has been good because I've been able to learn more about motorcycles and how to fix them through the process but this problem I just can't seem to solve. I have had it running perfectly at times but recently it has been acting up.

So what's been happening is, after riding the bike for a little while, say to work or something, the bike runs great! but, when I go to ride home it starts to bog down a lot to the point where I have to hold the throttle wide open and it'll sputter around at about 20-35mph normally just enough to get my to my driveway and then the bike will die and the battery appears to be drained.

It used to back fire a lot which I thought was the source of the problem. I cleaned the carbs though and realized the butterfly valves were not even. The left one was slightly open constantly. I assumed this was the cause to both the backfiring and the engine bogging. I got it all tuned correctly (to my knowledge) and rode it around the neighborhood to give it a test. It ran like a champ, probably the best it ever had. It wasn't backfiring except for maybe one small pop, it was accelerating without any bogging and running and sounding much smoother than before.

I thought my problems were solved. But then today when I rode to work it was doing great but as I neared work there were a couple times while it was accelerating where it began to bog a bit. I didn't sweat it and just prayed it would be okay. I went to ride it to a friends house and on the way, to my great despair, it began to bog and barely made the couple blocks to his house. The engine was bogging and basically shutting off. Simultaneously my battery was slowly dying. Luckily I was prepared and had my trickle charger in my backpack and after a very long process of starting and stoping got it home.

IN SUMMARY: The bike bogs down after being ridden for a little while during acceleration. It idles fine until the battery starts to die which only happens when it bogs down like this. If I let it sit for a while it'll start again but not for long and the more I start and stop while the engine is bogging like this the more the battery drains and the longer I have to wait in between starts and stops to get it going. It doesn't backfire hardly at all anymore after I adjusted and cleaned the carbs.

What I've done so far. I cleaned the the carbs, put new gas (with some sea foam to clean it out), fixed some fuse problems, I keep it on a trickle charger after it has sat for a while to make sure my battery is charged, I put new carb boots and pod filters on and am in the process of changing the signal lights.

I really need help and do not know what to do. I think it has something to do with my fuel/air mixture and or something to do with my spark plugs. Let me know what you guys think!

-Charlie

Sounds to me like you have a charging system that's out of whack. There are some tests you can do to inspect your charging system as described in the service manual. You can download one from the sticky at the top of the garage page. Ensure that you are comfortable taking off the left side of your engine (you don't have to remove the engine itself), and have a multimeter with you at all times during the diagnosis.

So you guys are pretty positive it's a charging system deal? Would that cause it to bog down when I throttle it?

yes, increased revs close the circuit and change the voltage.

as for being positive, it doesn't really work that way sadly. Have to start eliminating the problems that you can. Testing your voltage regulator is not really necessary, they just fail on our old bikes. Wiser to just replace it anyway and then move to the next inevitable (stator wire integrity)

the last possibility is your stator or rotor are damaged. Anyway, search the forum for the key words charging system.

Do you have an electric starting system or is it just kick start? I had similar probems, and finally found out the connection of the starter/kill switch in the headlight bucket didn't always make solid contact.

did you read my write up and go buy the aftermarket for your year and bike? It's called an r-292 at Napa/Oreilly.

The wiring is black to black, green to green, and merge orange and yellow and feed them to the brown or black/red wire...whichever you have. See my write up. You should be able to buy it today, ride it tonight...

did you read my write up and go buy the aftermarket for your year and bike? It's called an r-292 at Napa/Oreilly.

The wiring is black to black, green to green, and merge orange and yellow and feed them to the brown or black/red wire...whichever you have. See my write up. You should be able to buy it today, ride it tonight...

I went and bought one and am trying to change it right now, the problem I'm having is the screws for the old one are not only a bit tough to get to, but also have slightly stripped heads, I may just have to leave the old one attached but rewire the new one on.. I'm gonna keep trying but for right now that might be what I have to do.

Mine is still there too. Just un plug it. I soldered mine to the wires going to the harness and hid it beside/behind my right airbox. Good luck.

So I attached the new one and rode it around for a bit. I didn't notice any serious bogging, at least not like before. There were a couple times where it accelerated kind of funny but as a whole it ran really well, at least better than before. I think my pilot screws need some adjusting. I'm not exactly sure how to do that. What do you think? If it's still not accelerating perfectly that would mean it's running lean right?

There's a reason it's called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. It's not one goal. It's welcoming each experience as it informs you about your bike. Each challenge is a gift of learning. This odd calm sets in as you learn to fix the bike, because the bike demands you calm down and fix it slowly....not in a rush. if you don't want to wait...Man, YOU WILL.

Did you check the basics like...your points if you have them? easily adjusted. Just a piece of fine sandpaper to clean them of corrosion, some elec. contact cleaner, and a philips head to adjust the release/tension spring. You need a feeler gauge too...look in the manual. Manual is latin for "Man, YOU WILL!"

Clean your plugs of soot and gap them according to the Man, YOU WILL!

If you don't believe you'll learn to love fixing the bike more than riding it...Man, YOU WILL.

Drewcifer

There's a reason it's called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. It's not one goal. It's welcoming each experience as it informs you about your bike. Each challenge is a gift of learning. This odd calm sets in as you learn to fix the bike, because the bike demands you calm down and fix it slowly....not in a rush. if you don't want to wait...Man, YOU WILL.

Did you check the basics like...your points if you have them? easily adjusted. Just a piece of fine sandpaper to clean them of corrosion, some elec. contact cleaner, and a philips head to adjust the release/tension spring. You need a feeler gauge too...look in the manual. Manual is latin for "Man, YOU WILL!"

Clean your plugs of soot and gap them according to the Man, YOU WILL!

If you don't believe you'll learn to love fixing the bike more than riding it...Man, YOU WILL.

Drewcifer

Thanks man, yeah I've loved learning how to work on bikes thus far, despite the frustration of not being able to ride all the time. This forum has been enormously helpful though! I can't thank all the people that respond to these threads and do write-ups enough! I've gone from knowing absolutely nothing about motorcycle repair and maintenance to knowing a lot more in the course of a couple months.

Is there any tricks to getting pesky hex bolts off? I can't get my crankcase covers off because of one little hex bolt at the bottom that will not budge for the life of me! Think I'll need an impact driver? I think whoever put it on last literally covered it with loctite and it's just completely stuck.

yes. It may have had loctite applied. apply loctite remover and leave it overnight or acetone gel, again, leave overnight.

make sure you have the right hex bolt wrench and that it wasn't wrongly replaced with a standard one by accident. Better to patiently heat it or use solvent on it then to have to drill it out later, trust me on that.

Drewcifer

Back