77 XS400 Rebuild

Gumbyshirt

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Decided to try my luck with a rebuild instead, but have no idea where to start. Looking for suggestions?

Attachments

• 4E6E2FCA-969D-4D09-88F9-FB37CAF78106.jpeg
    4E6E2FCA-969D-4D09-88F9-FB37CAF78106.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 203
Good to hear and well first thing does it turn over? Motor is not locked up correct? Does it roll? Go through the brakes and replace the fluid in there. Whats the inside of the tank look like? Varnish or ? You can pull the carbs off and open them up to see what they look like inside. Check the float levels and put them back together.

There are lots of things to look at. Have you ever tried to start it ?

I always try to get them running first then go to work on them......

- Engine turns over
- it rolls
- Brake reservoir on right handlebar leaked causing corrosion. Calipers were previously locked up, now removed
- haven’t looked at tank, but will. Still has gas in it
- carbs, can I call a friend? Never messed with carbs
- tried to start when picking up, battery was dead. Tried to kick start, turns over, just won’t start.

Thanks for the vectors!

- Engine turns over
- it rolls
- Brake reservoir on right handlebar leaked causing corrosion. Calipers were previously locked up, now removed
- haven’t looked at tank, but will. Still has gas in it
- carbs, can I call a friend? Never messed with carbs
- tried to start when picking up, battery was dead. Tried to kick start, turns over, just won’t start.

Thanks for the vectors!

Rebuild for the front res common and not an issue. The rear one well I could not find anything for it when I tried to rebuild the one I had. Brake lines are probably junk also but they are an easy find also.

Pull the tank and clean it out...….hopefully not full of gunk.

Carbs are not really that hard as there are plenty of videos online showing how to tear into these things.

I know there are plenty of others things and hopefully someone else chimes in.

Youll need a good battery to start it. You can use jumper cables from your car battery to get the starter turning.

Things I would definitely replace just because:
-points, plugs, coils, wires, boots.
-Tires
-brake lines
-brake pads
-new fork bearing kit
-bronze swingarm bushings
-clutch, throttle cable
-wheel bearings

While some of these you can ignore for now. Id still consider. Some of those jobs are sort of big. The swingarm bushing can be a pain. The coils are probably OK too, but you cant change out the plug wires on them since they are glued in. They make good spares though. With new coils, the plug wires are removable so you can replace them when they get too short from snipping the ends off to get fresh wire at the boots.

Back