'78 - how to identify E or 2E

Bryan Patrick

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Purchasing a 78 tomorrow. Should the title tell me if it's an E or 2E? How should I know the difference?

Thanks and looking forward to diving into the forum and learning.

Attachments

• 00y0y_a6tgnELb2aP_1200x900.jpg
    00y0y_a6tgnELb2aP_1200x900.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 286
Welcome,

To E, or not 2E, that is the question. lol

seriously though, the first 3 characters in the VIN will tell you the model. I just recently picked up the same exact bike as the one your pictured but yours is in much better condition.

The 2e is the economy model. Wire spoke wheels and drum brakes, kick only and it has the old style tank and seat. Here is mine...
20180526_123250.jpg

I have the E model, although I prefer wire wheels and having the electric start option. Ive probably used the E-start about 5 times in the last year...

Its weird how my 76 360 has wire wheels and a front disc brake.. Yamaha must've wanted to burn off the back stock of older parts?

That's what I'm finding weird with everything I see. No rhyme or reason with some of the bike looks and parts on these years and models. Some spec sites saying drum brake in back disc in front. Either cant trust them or like you say, Yamaha had so much stuck they were throwing on whatever. Easily interchangeable I guess.

On the road now to pick her up. We'll soon see.

The build date will also help. If it's made in 77 it's a 78 and if it's made in 78 it's a 79. The 79-F and the 78-E look the same. The vin both start with 2L0 but one has vin numbers that start with 1 and the other a 0. I think the 78's start with the 0 can't remember but there is a thread in the forum on this.

Last edited:
Back