78 xs400 oil filter???

Jester401

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If im reading the online manual right for my bike, its saying theres an oil filter and an oil filter screen. Am I reading this correctly or is there only the screen? If theres a filter as well, where is it? Im in the middle of a rebuild so while its still dirty, Id like to get the oil change done before all my pieces are painted.

Your correct, under the engine there is a cover that comes off with a pre-screen for the oil pump and there is a canister oil filter inside the round cover at the front of the engine. The screen cover is kind of oval shaped while the oild filter cover is round and has cooling fins.

Sorry 78 xs4002E, ill have to check it out after work, thanks guys I was a little confused looking for an external screw in filter

My 78 has a round cover with fins on it at the front of the engine that covers the oil filter. The screen is on the bottom of the engine under a rectangular cover. I would not remove the screen unless you have a replacement gasket on hand. It's possible the old one will fail when you take the cover off. Tighten and loosen the oil filter screen like a set of car lug nuts (star pattern, progressively, evenly) to prevent warping and leaking.

Found this thread thanks to search. So while we're on topic of oil filter screens, anyone know where to get a oil filter screen gasket replacement? Checked Mikesxs (no dice), and also checked bikebandit for oem bits and they don't have the part available.

For reference, I'm pretty sure based on the manual that I'm looking for the "13. GASKET, STRNR CVR" part from this link:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1981-yamaha-xs400-xs400sh/o/m147126?a=1#sch214245

Be nice to do a full oil service on my '81 XS400 since I received it in fairly poor shape and it's dripping a little bit of oil (not really noticeable until about a week of sitting in garage while I was camping). I'm thinking the drip is coming from the oil filter screen area, but I don't want to remove it unless I have a replacement gasket on hand.

Any help in sourcing the part is much appreciated.

If its hard to find a gasket, you can always get a roll of gasket material from an auto parts store and cut one out:)

Back