79 Starter clutch - how does it work and what could be creating this awful sound?

heritage

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can add some clarity for me.

I cannot honestly say I fully understand exactly how the AC generator works. I have this awful sound that keeps occurring when I start – listen to the attached video.

I have taken the rotary assembly apart and found the a broken spring so I replaced the springs from my 78 parts bike and the the awful sounds persists.

Questions:

1. What exactly does the spring loaded pins do in the rotary assembly and what purpose does it serve.

2. How does the AC generator work after the starter clutch is resolved …….

After listening to the video does anyone think the grinding sound is coming from somewhere else? Or is the sound is acceptable? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Hmm I am unable to upload the video so it anyone would want to hear the video let me know and I can email it.

Safe Riding

Attachments

• Capture 7.JPG
    Capture 7.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Capture8.JPG
    Capture8.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 338
One thought could be – the spring force is overriding the clutch that is driven by the starter, and I am thinking it could be always engaged to the engine. The next thought is, if it was engaged it will spin along as long as the engine is running. (note these are the springs I just replaced ….)

Isn’t the springs, and rollers suppose to disengage from the starter gear when the engine reaches a certain RPM?

Clarification on how its suppose to work would be greatful

Think of it kind of how you use a pipe wrench. One way it will grab and the other it will not. The rollers are the teeth with a starter clutch. My guess it your rollers or housing is worn or sticking.

Thanks xschris
I have spare housing and rollers so I can take a look. Kinda what I thought it could be - I just really didn't want to take the flywheel off again.
Thanks for the response.

Back