79 XS 400 wont start outta storage.

ItsDANEgerous

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone
I dont really know much about bikes I just bought one so I could dive in and start figuring it out.

I bought the bike in nov and cleaned the carbs and replaced this broken bolt where the points are. The bike started fine and I rode till dec when it started to snow. So I put it in storage until april. When I got it out it wouldnt start. So I replaced the battery fuses and spark plugs but still no good. I also realized that I forgot to put one of the spark plugs in while it was in storage so I hope the cylinders are not rusted. Also I tried to make sure it had spark by putting the plug on something metal and kicking it but the kick seems to be locked up. It will move about 5 in down but wont go far enough to actually kick it.
Any Advice?:confused:

also I live in chicago so if anyone is nearby and would help me I would be eternally grateful.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as well...

What type of "storage" was the bike in? If the cylinders were left open (spark plug hole), then there is a good chance that moisture got into them and caused them to rust. I'm with Houghmade though, does the engine turn at all?

sorry for being unclear.....the engine does not turn. I put the bike in like an indoor storage warehouse. I had to empty the tank of all gas in order to put it in the building.

The engine does not turn using the starter? Have you tried kick start? Checked kill switch?
Battery have juice,12+volts? Main fuse OK?

I would take the spark plugs out and spray a generous amount of a penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Kroil, etc.) in there and let it sit for a day. Then try the kick starter again. Put a new battery in if the battery does not have over 12 volts.

In my opinion,automatic tranny fluid[ATF] is the best to use in the combustion chamber,as it has anti-rust properties,and is a good penetrant. The rings on this cylinder may be stuck,and leaving atf in there will help to free it up.The next time it is put in storage,just take out the plugs out and put about 2-3 tbsps of atf or marvel mystery oil[mmo]and kick the starter slowly to coat the cylinders,then replace the plugs finger tight,then when you start back up,kick it over a few times,with plugs out,then start.This works well to unstick rings after prolonged storage. Also you can run with a rich mix of Marine Sta-bil,to protect the carbs from corrosion. lha:bike:

Last edited:
Thx for the advice.....yea I put a new battery in and new fuses like a week ago and my bike is only kick start.....im gunna try putting that transmission oil or marvel oil in it and see if it unsticks the kick.

Back