80-82 pickup coil cover removal

xschris

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
How do you get these things off? One side has a screw and the other has a flat plug or something at the end of a screw.

Last edited:
They are supposed to be pan head screws. Is the "plug" you're referring to a screw with the head broken off? Perhaps the original screw rusted to the cover and broke off when someone tried to remove it.

Nope the two I have are the same way. Not striped or broken off just a flat top on the one screw. They are for the electronic ignition engines. Anyone that has one must know.:shrug:

Been here before...

The right side is a covered by a brass plug, must have been a 1/4 inch thick. Under it was a bolt similar to the left side, just shorter. I tried to drill out the plug, but didn't have any luck doing that (was probably using too small a bit and EZOut).

Ended up slipping a screwdriver between the engine and the cover and hammering my way through the dang bolt. Then I pressed it out the plug from the backside and used an EZOut on the broken bolt.

If I had to do this again, I would try drilling out the using a much larger bit. Just drill slowly until you reach the bolt. Then use the biggest EZ you can reasonably get in there.

HOWEVER, it's plugged for a reason. There are no points under there. Unless you are certain your timing is off, I would leave it alone...

Thanks I just picked up 5 engines and two had these covers one came off ok and the other I have not tried yet. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Just drill the plug out carefully and then unbolt per usual. These plugs were fitted to models with electronic ignitions that shouldn't need adjustment to the timing and were to prevent changes to the exhaust emissions through alterations to the timing.

wrap a drill bit with tape until it is a snug fit in the hole. Drill it slowly until you break through. The tape will keep you centered in the hole. There is a JIS/Philips screw under the plug. The plug is easy to remove once the cover is off...

I tried to drill/tap mine so that I could screw a bolt into it and just pull it out to get at the bolt beneath it. Of course, I failed with the tap and just ended up having to drill the sucker out anyway.

xschris, do you have a picture of whats under that cover before you take anything off, i also have the electronic ignition and im not sure if im missing parts or what goes there thanks

This is from the one that was apart when I got it. It did have a small c shaped retainer on the top philips head screw, but I can't find that now.:shrug:

Last edited:
xschris thanks! i discovered the problem..
the PO busted the threaded end off the cam shaft!!

that explains alot, now im searching for a new cam!

if your willing to part one of those out let me know im on the prowl for a new cam

This forum saved me from doing a lot of unnecessary work. Thanks to all who have previously
Had the same troubles and thanks to everyone with the knowledge to help. Much appreciated.

We stuck the cover (after we got it off) in the freezer and the plug cam out easily. The brass plug shrinks and pops out.

Back