80mph tumble

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I was all excited to be riding again, and thought I'd take a nice ride up to kzoo. My new saddlebags were working out great, and I'd taken her to WOT several times with 'em. Less than a mile after the on-ramp I start to feel a wobble, and my first thought is to get out of the way of the guy in the car trying to get me to race him. Over the next few seconds or so the wobble gets stronger and stronger and I know the time I have in control is about to expire.

My default instinct gets me to pull the clutch. I knew nothing on the road caused the wobble, so I do my best to damp the steering oscillation while using the rear brake to reduce my speed. The steering was already too strong for me to slow it down, but my momentum is keeping me in the same lane for now, a handful of feet away from mr speedy and his car. Soon enough, the wobble is strong enough to get the steering to lock to either side. My only thought is: bail. I have no idea what (specifically) happened to the bike at this point, but I was able to get in a position to roll lengthwise (as opposed to cartwheels) and that was all I knew for what seemed like an eternity.

When the world slows down enough for me to see, I realize that I'm still in the same lane. Since this was one of the side lanes, I immediately change pitch and get to the shoulder. My adrenaline is soaring so much that I can hardly see straight, but I try to take stock of my surroundings anyway: I'm standing... in the median... facing passers-by who stopped and are beckoning further into the median, who had time to call the police. Everything before that moment was a blur, and I am oblivious to my injuries, my shredded gear, and can just make out the shape of my bike (relatively) safely on the shoulder, about 50 feet ahead of where I stopped. The passers-by help me calm down, and I start to slowly take off my gear. I don't even recognize some of it.

My gear saved most of me: my injuries were mostly road rash and bruises. My helmet saved my head, but not my face: the fiberglass was torn at the joint for the modular piece. My jeans and gloves were just not suited for this, and will be replaced with legitimate gear after the wounds heal. But now I REALLY like my jacket. Picking up the bike today, so we'll see how badly she ended up.

Attachments

• Boots.jpg
    Boots.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 407
  • Gloves.jpg
    Gloves.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Helmet.jpg
    Helmet.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Jeans.jpg
    Jeans.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 428
  • Jacket back.jpg
    Jacket back.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 446
  • Jacket front.jpg
    Jacket front.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 380
  • Legs.jpg
    Legs.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 413
  • Arm.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Jacket right.jpg
    Jacket right.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Jacket left.jpg
    Jacket left.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 393
Glad you made it out alive. You've lived through one of my greater fears. I always wear a full face helmet but rarely wear other safety gear. My only road spill (many dirt bike spills when younger) was at almost 5MPH and even at that very low speed I got a seriously bruised knee and a good case of road rash. Best of luck with the bike.

It is good to hear that you are ok. So what went wrong on the bike?

you came out well for 80 mph, no broken bones!

we call them tank slappers, probably caused by the shift in weight to the rear.

Any sign of oscillation and you should put more weight onto the front by lying on the tank.

glad your not too beat up and that jacket was brilliant.

I was momentarily speechless - then so glad you are okay. I hope your face will be okay - it's hard to tell from your Avatar what you had to work with to start.

I almost took the mesh pants off one of those really hot days last week but remembered I had promised myself. I know I won't feel self conscious again after seeing the pic of your jeans.
When you get pants and gloves, get the same brand as that great jacket. And promise yourself. Take good care and all the best - keep us posted.

glad your ok and live to tell the tail :thumbsup:

the helmet you had.. what was the brand ?
been looking to get one like that and now thinking i will stick to the full face helmet
that i always use

Thanks for the well-wishes! @HM: it'd be I94, but I don't think it made the news. I just got back from the yard, and as far as I can tell it looks like the bags were the cause of the crash. One joint on the bracket had a poor weld, so it must have given way and changed the position of the bag. I had to break off the remaining joints from that bracket to get her home, but it was really easy since that was the side it fell on. The bike itself is a little worse for the wear, but it looks like the headlight took the brunt of the collision. I guess it jackknifed when I couldn't control it? Somehow it seems to have tried a cartwheel or two. Maybe I should've asked the ones who saw it :doh: It definitely hit the right saddlebag pretty hard though, just look at the dent in it's frame! Lights and gauges are toast, the bars took a hefty beating as well. I'm not sure what all is good but the wheels, engine, and frame look ok. Putting the cover on her for a while though, as I don't really have the cash to fix everything just yet. Second guessing the idea of saddlebags a little now. Honestly, I'm glad it wasn't my face that took the collision that hit the headlight.
Oh, yeah: one of the cops at the scene saw me loading it up and stopped to see how I was doing. Nice guy. :)

Edit: I don't remember the brand Vectra, but I know it was a $75 one I grabbed from either ebay or amazon. I'm going to use a full-face from now on, even though the modular ones are a little more comfortable. The road ate up a little of my face and broke my nose: I'm not sure how much of that is due to the helmet module breaking off or that it was a half size too big.

@Lou: if my mug was pretty to begin with I'd make sure everyone knew about it!

Attachments

• bike bars.jpg
    bike bars.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 349
  • bike gauges.jpg
    bike gauges.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 380
  • bike front.jpg
    bike front.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 356
  • bike bag2.jpg
    bike bag2.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 335
  • bike bag1.jpg
    bike bag1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Bike right.jpg
    Bike right.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 368
  • bike bag3.jpg
    bike bag3.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Holy shite bro!! Oh my God! ...and you lived. Burned a life for sure but what the hell your alive! Sorry about yer bike but your still here telling us this story!

damn dude scary stuff. glad you made out with minor injuries to your body and bike. I've had that wobbly steering before and it will sure wake you up. Mine was caused from a flat rear tire tho. Saddle bags caused your mess.. that is nuts. mental note no saddle bags. I use a milk crate on the back of my bike and sometimes I got a lot of weight in there.. maybe I shouldn't

WOW! Glad you made that one into a walkaway. Glad your still around to help give us mech. jr's more good advice. Also a learning lesson, I have two helmets and usually put on the full face with plastic face cover and been meaning to look into something else than jeans. So a lot of good will come from this as we all suit up better when we go for our rides. I had a scarey one to but got it safely to the side in very heavy traffic.

Again Glad to read your going to be okay!

Everyone around here thinks I am crazy since it is so uncommon, but this is what I wear. Most people don't even know what my suite is for. One woman thought I was a nascar driver when I walked into a Dunkin Donuts... :doh:

Attachments

• 423203_2833720396895_1075710288_32238080_914019417_n.jpg
    423203_2833720396895_1075710288_32238080_914019417_n.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 374
Recover fast buddy!! :)

I also recommend the atgatt mantra. Revit Turbine jacket(Huge recommended), some leather gauntlets(can't recall who made them, phoenix something? rocket somebody?), icon field armor boots(don't recommend), tourmaster venture air pants(recommended), and a scoprion exo-700 full face Although my shoei rf1100 comes in tomorrow.

I'm super happy you came out with some extra 'character' and not fewer limbs mate. Let us know if we can help with the bike.

Glad to hear you walked away! I've been researching different gear to get and this thread has helped reinforce how important proper gear is.

DanMach: what are the reasons for not recommending the icon boots? I'll look into the Revit Turbine jacket, I'd seen it and liked the looks but wasn't sure if it was a decent jacket.

Back