81 4r4 xs 400 wireing / rewire help

blackvnm

XS400 Member
Reaction score
k i found this for the heritage 4r4 and im doin a delete in wiring

i modified the wiring diagram and i took out the headlight stuff on this 1 but i will be adding different wiring for that on different switchs

this is were i need some help with all this that is deleted does this look fine after taking these relays and others out for this bike to run / work any advice will be apreciated:bike:

so far this is what i have totally done

wires left

and relays/ignition stuff

and most of these crimps/ blue tap was all under the previous harness / other person did,,, atm in the rough stage everything works so far brake lights and all just gotta put in a headlight switch and starter switch/button

all thats been takin off

if looks like anything is missing that shouldnt plz post thnks

Last edited:
many of us, look at that ans says "wow" with that said...

Have you have gone thou the drewpies re-wire thread, off of the tech page? I think its easier to pattern things out, off of the bike, re-run wire on the drawing board so to speak.

safety relay/relay are both responsible for different things. safety relay looks (I didn't look closely) for ensuring that everything is in its right place for a good start. meaning Clutch in neutral?, or is the clutch handle pulled, is the off switch on? The relay is to add extra power to the headlights. It has 2 jobs, one is to differ turning the headlight on, till the alternator is kicking. It is not fool proof, usually a a kick will fool that relay into turning on the headlight. If you notice that white wire, it has a diode onto it. It is taking raw "one stage" of power to your headlights. With that said, most of us have been fooled by that relay. Its important to note, that the difference of AC power verse DC, is that AC means alternating power. That Diode, is a means to prevent the returning current, which means that is creating DC power at that point. The rest of the white wires get switch over to DC power by the rectifier. So please take your time, review the Drewpies notes on "how to re-wire" and don't do what your PO did.

last time I got deep into this stuff, I was looking at a website called www.the12volt.com, hope that helps.

kk ya i still got that diode in the line i been checking drewps stuff out to just tryin to make sure i didnt take to much out lol i hate wiring diagrams lol

i went bought toggles for under the seat along with push button start so all the handles are gunna be clean just gotta figure were i wanna put the key start cyclinder at

thnks for the great info arf every little bit helps on important jobs

o i forgot to add i have a led headlight to if that makes a difference at power usage for the head light system

If you have upgraded to the fancy lights, with a remote box thing, your probably using less amps at this point. depending on what your using too.

One thing that makes it easy for me to understand wire diagrams, is to think like a water way. I move a switch that lets the water move from that switch to the next item. Then is there anything else in my waters path.Then you just follow it from upstream (generally the fuses) to the end destination, where it grounds out. Its just as you get to diodes, and relays, and other weird do-dads, that its like what was that for? Thats when we can help alot.

Back