81 engine to 79 frame

mac11

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm building an xs400 for my girlfriend. I started with an 81 that was basically given to me. It has a good engine and associated gear but the frame and pretty bits are in pretty beat shape. So I got a hold of a '79 that is in excellent shape save the locked up motor. The problem with this bike is it was partially disassembled and came with a couple bags of parts. all unlabeled. And I'm not particularly a connoisseur of these old Yams. Also something that is causing me more grief than it should is the '79 wiring diagram that i downloaded off this site is in German. And I'm not German.

I've the good motor into the good frame and I'm working on getting the ignition all lined up and sorted so I can tune the carbs and get her running right.

This brings up a few questions that hopefully can be answered here.

First, I believe this is the interrupter? Correct? And even though both wires breaking out of the connector are black it plugs into the 2-pin connector with the grey and orange wires near the left coil?

94DC25D5.jpg

Second, on the motor that came out of the '79 frame I have a 2-wire connection with bullet connectors here:
6035330B.jpg

and on the motor from the '81 frame I have a 3-pin harness connection and the wire colors don't come close to matching:
6D1DB2CF.jpg

The the '79 frame that I am using it appears that the harness side of this connection is 2 wires from each single wire connection on the engine side. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these 2 MY's and where I am needing to make my connections?

Thanks for any help.

Mac

I know this can be done, but the difference in the wiring harnesses is that the '81 has electronic ignition and the '79 has points and condenser. Doing a little searching about the conversion should probably yield someone who has done it. Good luck!

Why is that weird? They all have coils...

My '81 motor is currently in a '79 frame as well. I gutted the entire wiring harness and made one from scratch. It was much easier in the long run.

Yep, Valpo. I work in Merrillville. Was at court in CP this morning and am trying a case in Hammond next week.

Yep, all have coils because that's what supplies the high voltage for spark- electronic vs. points just determines when it fires.

Also, the black thing in your original post is a condenser; it sits behind the right coil on my '78.

Back