81 Hardtail "Roseanne"

87cody

87cody
Reaction score
I picked up an 81 XS400S a couple months ago from a guy that was using it as a dirtbike, it ran very well and after several evenings washing and polishing it cleaned up very well. I bought it with the intention of giving my girlfriend a small bike she could easily learn to ride but even though I lowered it 2 inches she still cannot put her feet flat on the ground. Since were both fans of the hardtail bobber look we decided it would be the best route for it (even though she cant ride it im really enjoying the thing). I picked up some mini ape hanger bars that curve back so she can easily reach them and an old rear fender (have no idea what its off of but its made by CEV an italian company and looks WWII era), and last week I stumbled across a 65 BSA frame that had already been hardtailled, so with a bit of welding and beer drinking im gonna make it work.

Attachments

• Photo0270.jpg
    Photo0270.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 392
  • Photo0271.jpg
    Photo0271.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Photo0272.jpg
    Photo0272.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Photo0290.jpg
    Photo0290.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 425
Well I got the BSA hardtail frame cleaned up enough to test fit the motor in and it fits like a glove. The only modification needed is the downtubes where the exhaust ports come out and the motor mounts.

Attachments

• Photo0292.jpg
    Photo0292.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 424
Picked up a couple white walls, and cleaned up the frame a little more

Attachments

• Photo0293.jpg
    Photo0293.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 515
This thread title invokes zero sexy feelings.

Agreed, those tires look awesome! Can't wait to see this thing put together

The tires were free throw aways from my local bike shop, I believe the one on the rear is a 120/90/16 and the front im not sure, its definately too wide to fit without some serious fork modification so it probably wont be getting used. Well when I first saw the bike in a barn covered in dried mud and grease looking as awful as the flannel clad 80s TV star the name Roseanne just seemed fitting

very nice build and looks very similar to bike im building right now. what tank you going to be using on it ?

I was thinking an "alien" style tank with an offset filler cap. I want the tank to flow into the seat so there is very little gap between the two. I think I will wait until the frame modifications are complete before I make a final decision on the seat and the tank.

I finished the downtube mods for the exhaust clearance on the BSA frame. I was originally going to just make a Y but the X allows me to retain more of the original frame design and I think it looks pretty cool.

Attachments

• Photo0296.jpg
    Photo0296.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 408
Lookin more like a bike, getting pretty excited. Two more motor mounts and foot peg mounts and all the major frame welding will be done. Then its just electronics mounts and seat and tank mounts

Attachments

• Photo0302.jpg
    Photo0302.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 423
Well I finished up the custom motor mounts. It took a little longer than I expected but this is a bastard child of a BSA and Yamaha so those things are gonna happen. I am real happy with how its looking so far. Im a bit torn on the bars whether to go with the mini apes or the straighter bars. Im gonna build some gussets next for the area where the rear section meets the vertical bars and Ive decided to go with mid controls so they will mount to these gussets.

Attachments

• Photo0314.jpg
    Photo0314.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 375
  • Photo0313.jpg
    Photo0313.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 450
  • Photo0311.jpg
    Photo0311.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 389
Well all the frame fab is almost done, finally. All I have left is some rear fender mounts and a fork stop on the neck. I was able to find some bearings to use the xs400 triple tree in the BSA neck. I bought a Le Pera seat and Axed Alien tank, custom made motor mounts, harley footpegs and folding mounts. For the shifter and brake controls I cut up the mini apehager bars I didnt like and made the linkage from them. I started cutting down a ammo box for an electronics box but im still not sold on it. If anyone has any ideas on a custom electronics box let me know. I can start to see the end of the road this project has been on, a couple more mounts and fabrications and some wiring and odds and ends and hopefully it will be ready for paint. I took a couple pics last night but none with all the componets attached. Hopefully soon.

Attachments

• Rolling.jpg
    Rolling.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 362
  • rollingleft.jpg
    rollingleft.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Tank&Seat.jpg
    Tank&Seat.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 389
  • Brake.jpg
    Brake.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 351
  • MotorIn.jpg
    MotorIn.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 365
The mini beer keg is a great idea. I will have to steal.that idea if I ever build a bobber.

I have got Heineken ones here in Oz before. They are also available out of vending machines in Japan. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

i would've offered you $500 for that frame as it was. i've got a running A65 engine sitting in the garage just waiting for me to score exactly the one you have. oh well. but now i know i should look into picking up an XS frame, hardtailing it and finally giving that power egg a proper home. thanks!

i'm loving this build. that X downtube is titties. you've got great skills and a good eye. that stance is killer.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm having my girlfriend call her beer rep to get me one of those mini kegs Monday haha. Damn Ironhead I would have bought the motor off of you lol. What is your email? I know a guy in Cleveland with several old tramps and bsa's some hard tail frames, even if he doesn't have one i am sure he knows someone that does (hell his brother in law races vintage flat track and is sponsored by lowbrow). Ill send you his contact info. Hes a hell of a guy that's a wealth of knowledge on the old Brit bikes

Back