81 maxim painting.

philshizle

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have some cracks on the side of my fender. It's directly ontop of the brace that's underneath the front fender. I don't know how to solidly fix this. Should I just paint it primer and see how it goes? Also I don't know what to do with the moth of the tank. I could tape it but I don't think that would be good. Should I just stick a rag in it or what?. Also I'll take some simple paint scheme suggestions. I was thinking just gloss black. Thanks guys!(was this too much for one thread? ..naaaa)

If the cracks are in/thru the metal the only thing that will fix it is welding the crack shut, grinding it smooth, and a little body putty/sanding to hide the repair. When painting a tank I use an expanding rubber swimming pool drain plug for the mouth of the tank.

sorry i should of had pictures. heres the fender thats pretty much the same as mine. they are fiberglass
$(KGrHqZHJEcFEihKVW0oBRJ!K8YpDQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqNHJEoFERYtWL6BBRJ!LKLrmw~~60_57.JPG

my fender is cracked across the side right above the top bolt thing. then theres a vertical crack going perpendicular to the first crack, starting at the first and going over the side and a little on the top of the fender. On the second pic u can see thhe brace underneeth. that is why the fender is not in two peices and its why i cant fix it from the inside of the fender.

Permanent fiber glass repair can be tricky. The end of each crack must be drilled with a small drill bit. In your case I would reinforce both the underside and overside with fiber glass repair cloth and resin. After the resin use body putty to cover the repair and smooth out/feather in the repair so it is invisible.

Back