81 xs400 not starting

Xxspcxcavxx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I dont know what's going on, old carbs, new carbs the bike wont fire off gas but it will turn over with starter fluid

Youre positive you are getting fuel to both carbs? have to tried opening the drain valve on the fuel bowl? Is the battery fully charged? Are your spark plugs in good condition? Do you have the throttle open when you start it so the engine stays revved high until it stalls?

Yes there are clear fuel lines going to each bowl, brand new plugs,fully charges gel battery, open throttle, and it doesnt revv it just starts puttering like its trying to run

Have you checked the timing? could be too retarded. You shouldnt have to open the throttle to start it. When I start my bike cold, I put the choke on and give it a couple of slow kicks before I turn the ignition on. If its a nice day I can usually just open the throttle a bit and kick it over without the choke.

Id say that you might need to clean the carbs, but your issue has been present with both of your carb sets. Both sets could still be dirty... But I think it could be that the timing is off. Id check that and also check the valve clearance.

Back