81 XS400 Special - First Bike

KC_Royals

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Newbie here! Just picked up my first bike over the weekend. It's an 81 XS400 Special. Looks pretty clean minus a dent on the fuel tank. Gonna turn it into a cafe bike but will probably take my time with it and still enjoy it along the way. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 289
Can I dissuade you from tearing up the bike? These bikes are starting to reach the realm of collectible, prices are going up, and will only be worth anything as said collectible if it is bone stock. And yours looks to be a very clean example.

There are tons of trashed up XS400's out there perfect for customizing on the cheap.

But in the end it's your bike, do as you'd like!

Welcome to the forum. I also agree to let that one stay stock! The only thing I can see that has been changed is the front master brake cylinder and plug wires. These are getting very hard to find that way anymore. If you do plan on changes save all the stock parts and don't cut anything. Uncut stock parts are worth a lot more than you think.

You both could convince me to keep it stock by offering a price to buy it from me! haha jk
I do plan on keeping it stock for awhile and riding it as is. Don't wanna start modifying it right away.

You both could convince me to keep it stock by offering a price to buy it from me! haha jk
I do plan on keeping it stock for awhile and riding it as is. Don't wanna start modifying it right away.

I'm picking up a 1981 XS400 Special that isn't very stock from the looks. I'd definitely trade you. ;D

Join the VJMC as well, KC has a HUGE membership base and they do a ton of events every month. I think they even have weekly garage days where people just work on bikes and talk tech. They will steer you in the right direction on the bike for sure. I'm always jealous of the amount of participation they have, it's nonexistent here in Ohio.

http://www.kcvjmc.org/
https://www.vjmc.org/

I'm actually thinking about going to the KCVJMC 4th Annual Midwest Regional Show this year in August. So that should be pretty sweet. But I'll look into their other events as well. Thanks!

Back