81 XS400 STUCK GAS CAP, i used the 3 keys previous owners gave none seem to work

crismt_y81

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi im a new owner of the 81 xs400. have been trying to open the gas cap. Push and Turn to the Right it should open. But its not opening up for me? been working on it since yesterday.. when i picked up the bike, he said opening the gas cap is "tricky"??

I even tried to put it a bit of weight on it, no luck. Previous owner is not really helpful when i called them up.. i dont know what he meant other than Push and Turn, clockwise.:mad:

first time bike owner, please help..

PLs help!!!

gas cap1.jpg gascap2.jpg

gas cap3.jpg gascap4.jpg

Last edited:
It's just that easy push down and turn:) Not much else to say about it:shrug: Welcome to the forum.

It's just that easy push down and turn:) Not much else to say about it:shrug: Welcome to the forum.

thanks!! yeah i know.. i tried everything push down push up.. a bit of weight and no weight at all...

how difficult is , insert key, turn while pushing down..

thanks for the welcome!! looking forward to all you guys and gals in the forum!!

-c

Wecome to the forum,I like that color on your tank..Question doesn't the ignition key unlock the tank?I have the same year bike and my ignition key also fits the gas tank.Insert key turn to the right push down on cap and it should open.If not someone probably the po installed a different cap.

i have all 3 keys.. they all would turn the properly while pushing down but wont open..the po is not returning my calls...

whats my worst case here?? getting in ax thru the tank?!!! hehehe.. jk

Looks very clean and well maintained,My bike is the same color but I had to paint it to get that color,it was originaly a maroonish color.It was ok but blue is my favorite color.

I have to open mine with a knife or screw driver pushed strait back (from the front to the back). The latch is about 1" back under the cap.

That cap looks to be after market. There should be four numbers in it and the matching key should have the same.

Attachments

• DSC02490.jpg
    DSC02490.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC02491.jpg
    DSC02491.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 265
this is really frustrating!! should i call in locksmith for this??

finally got a hold of PO. He said he played with it for 5 min until he was able to open it...he was doing it 5 min while i wAs already playing with it for 2 effin days!!!!!:banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
finally, i was able to open it by punching that rivet hinge out. I disassembled t he lock mechanism and found that the circular notch as you turn the key is worn out.

What i did was, i turn it the way it is (normally) then i would use a SHORT Screw driver to push the 'tounge' then it will release the cap.

Mystery solved!..now im on the look out for a used non worn out one. !!!

THANKS GUYS!!

finally, i was able to open it by punching that rivet hinge out. I disassembled t he lock mechanism and found that the circular notch as you turn the key is worn out.

What i did was, i turn it the way it is (normally) then i would use a SHORT Screw driver to push the 'tounge' then it will release the cap.

Mystery solved!..now im on the look out for a used non worn out one. !!!

THANKS GUYS!!

gascap2.jpg

i took the rivet out on this end...

gascap4.jpg

that tounge on the right side can be pushed by a stubby s/d to pop open

Last edited:
crismt_y81 I wish a stuck gas cap was the only problem I had on my bike.unfortunately I have a complex electrical issue that's keeping me from being able to start it.I`ll be working on that today.

scorpio., i know how that feels.. i was only stuck with a minor problem.. and it was frustrating, what more if its worst?.. i just step away for a minute and relax.. we all love bikes!! and keep at it...

good luck!!

C

Yeah I was getting frustrated very seriously.I left it alone for 2 days.Time to see if I make some progress on it today although the cold weather isn't helping much for motivating me.Im just a point Ive tried everything I know and then some that I just learned.I wish I knew somebody who was good at electrical diagnoses because Im not.To compound things I wiring problems on two vehicles not just one.

Back