81 XS400 won't start, lights stopped working and it won't turn over at all

HotelBravo

HotelBravo
Reaction score
I bought a 1981 Yamaha XS400 Special-II mid June. I rode it home and it seemed fine, but the blinkers and high beams crapped out on me as soon as I pulled into my hometown.

I figured the wiring may have gotten pinched when the previous owner switched the gas tank, so with the help of my uncle I got (what I think) all the wiring issues fixed. All the lights worked except for the fact that the neutral light stayed on even when it was in gear, which I didn't realize until I had test ridden it around for about 10 minutes.

After riding for about a half hour, I accidentally let the clutch out too soon and stalled the bike. I tried kick starting it (the electric start is broken), but since I'm not very big I had a pretty hard time with it. My uncle came to help me and at that point we realized that none of the lights were working. The kick start lever was also not ratcheting properly and if the clutch was in the lever would just go straight down without any resistance.

I don't think the issue is with the battery, we charged it up after it initially had problems with the blinker because we thought that was the main cause.

Any advice would be really appreciated, this is my first bike and I don't really know much about motorcycles and although my uncle has some knowledge he doesn't have enough time to help me with it anymore.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do.

Bike wont start with clutch in, must be in neutral. IF it wont kick you need to check for fuel and fire. I personally think its easier if you have a charged battery and use the electric starter. A dead battery will make the starter not work. I would start there. Then check the plugs for spark and the carbs for fuel.

Back