81xs400 won't start, cleaned carbs, checked for spark

Lukas

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi to all . i`m new to the bike seen and got a 81 xs400 special for a barges and a second one in bits for parts. The engine hit bearings and i replaced it with the spare engine but i can not get it to run. i checked the timing, spark, float, ignition box, and still nothing. please help i`m going out of my mind with frustration.

Hi i have 81xs400 but can not get it to start. i cleaned the crabs adj the float checked for spark timing. can you help me ? i`m in RSA so i don't know the time deference but will check evrey day for a response

Hi mogie

yes there is spark , plug was wet before i have set the float to 32mm. now it is good.
i have checked the coils and replaced one of them. I have spark on both plugs. i have electronic points and on the timing light it line`s Directly with the pin. I have two ignition boxes and did have a small deference . the bike turns a little faster as if just before starting . but not. How do i do ignition timing ? and what ells can you suggest

I don't think it is a timing issue, nor spark. Have you charged the battery lately? A battery that will turn over the engine may still be a bit weak for firing. Also, I am wondering about fuel supply. Spray some WD-40, carb cleaner or starting fluid into a carb while it is cranking. If it fires and runs for a few seconds, the spark is fine and the carbs need cleaning.

Good luck!

Did you check compression? When it's turning over, cover the carb opening with the palm of your hand. Do you feel a good suction?
Like Hough said, open the butterfly, shoot some carb cleaner in there, then try to start it. If it doesn't pop and sputter, you might have a spark/coil.

Thanx a lot XSLeo i will do so . Work has me a bit busy at the moment , but will surly do so as soon as possible . Thanx to every body that gave me sum input . I will reply to every one of you as soon as i get the time to work on my baby again

Back