82 Maxim No idle after oil drain plug incident

CaptainBeyond28

XS400 Member
Reaction score
The other night my bike broke down on me and I come to realize it's because the oil drain came loose while I was riding. It was EVERYWHERE. Got it towed back home and now I've replaced the filter and got a new drain plug and put all new oil in. When I try to start it now I get no idle :( I can get it to rev up but it still sounds quite funny.

I meant to record about 20 seconds of this but I hope you can get an idea of what's going on. I'll take a longer one later today. Still haven't tried to get it to move. I may have overfilled the oil as it almost spurts out the fill hole when I fire it up but I have no way of knowing since I can't get a reading on the oil level window thing and I'd rather have too much oil then not enough given what's just happened.

Is it junk? :(

Well, I've got a bad feeling about this. With oil starvation, the rod to piston connection will probably be the first to go, followed by the cam and then rod to crank. I can't tell anything from the video.
How long did it run without oil?

That's.....not good. I can't long distance diagnose, but I would guess that you've got some serious oil-starvation failures.

Red means stop. Now.

if red light was flashing that means oil pressure so either pressure censer or low oil or maybe you killed the oil pump any idea how long u drove it for befor u noticed it was loosing oil or did u ride tell bike shut down? did u compression test it
what i would do is if the red oil light is flickering i would check the ohm reading for the oil pressure censor then if that ohms good then i would change the oil pump then i would check compression

by the way from what i have heard to much oil can be bad as well i have heard that u can blow seals and all kinds of bad things with to much oil
is your oil window to dirty to see ????

if red light was flashing that means oil pressure so either pressure censer or low oil or maybe you killed the oil pump any idea how long u drove it for befor u noticed it was loosing oil or did u ride tell bike shut down? did u compression test it
what i would do is if the red oil light is flickering i would check the ohm reading for the oil pressure censor then if that ohms good then i would change the oil pump then i would check compression

No, the reason this all went down is because my drain bolt popped off and the oil leaked out. When I rolled it off the highway I noticed a trail of oil and it continued to leak - even made a mess of the tow truck. I put all new oil in but I'm having a hard time telling how much I need since it powers up but doesn't idle so I have to have my hand on the throttle the whole time, and I can't look at the oil window. I put a whole bottle and a half of oil in there and I'm worried now I may have too much.

And yes I rode until the bike shut down.

Last edited:
No, the reason this all went down is because my drain bolt popped off and the oil leaked out. When I rolled it off the highway I noticed a trail of oil and it continued to leak - even made a mess of the tow truck. I put all new oil in but I'm having a hard time telling how much I need since it powers up but doesn't idle so I have to have my hand on the throttle the whole time, and I can't look at the oil window. I put a whole bottle and a half of oil in there and I'm worried now I may have too much.
you look at oil level well bike is off there are 2 lines in the window if u check it well it is running it will give u bad reading and if u have been filling it well it is running u probly have way to much oil in there now so i would drain oil then refill well bike is off make sure u watch the window well filling when the level is about 3/4 up the window put cap on fire bike up for 30 secs then shut down then wait 30 secs for oil to settle and check levels again (BIKE OFF)

when u have the oil filled correctly well bike is off ( oil filled about 3/4 up window) you should be good and when bike is idling and u look at window u probably wont see any oil in window this is normal because the oil is flicking around and the oil pump is pumping oil through your motor as long as levels are good well bike is off and in upright position u should be good if ur bike has center stand i would us that for oil filling and checking levels because if bike is on slight angle u will get an inaccurate reading in the glass

allso have u tryed adjusting idle screw see if u can get it to idle with the screw at 1200 +-50
as of right now i would be looking at compressionif u rode it tell it shut off could of cooked the rings and lost compression u need a compression tester to really know though

would i be able to ask u for a favor captainbeyond
really need a favor to try and diagnose my bike

would i be able to ask u for a favor captainbeyond
really need a favor to try and diagnose my bike

Please PM me. I want this thread for my problem.

I was able to get my bike to work this morning but I had to hold down the throttle pretty much the whole time. The rattling happens on gear 1-2 but once I get to 3rd gear there is no more rattling and my bike runs fine. I may adjust the idle screw and see if I can get it to idle and if that is the case I'll just learn to live with the rattling until I can afford a new bike.

Please PM me. I want this thread for my problem.

I was able to get my bike to work this morning but I had to hold down the throttle pretty much the whole time. The rattling happens on gear 1-2 but once I get to 3rd gear there is no more rattling and my bike runs fine. I may adjust the idle screw and see if I can get it to idle and if that is the case I'll just learn to live with the rattling until I can afford a new bike.
yeah that works but check compression the copression tester is fairly cheap 20 bucks or so u should have 114-150 psi hold throttle wide open turn motor over for about 5-10 secs tell gauge stops moving and that will tell u ur compression if it is below 114psi i would take head off check piston and cylender for scoring and if they look fine check rings they are pretty cheap as well

Ok. It is now idling, and I am even able to drive it without worry, but I do hear a knocking sound and my neighbor says I have "valve tick" and it's only a matter of time before this thing is dead if I keep riding it as is. Is this true?

The engine was run (under load) without oil pressure because the oil drain plug was left loose and fell out dumping the oil. That is bad for many internal parts of the engine and transmission. It now makes noise when running, that it didn't make before. That is a clear indication of damage. You can either keep running it and hope for the best - I wish you luck with that. Or you can tear down the engine, inspect it and make a list of parts that need replacing. My money is on the more the engine is run, the longer that parts list list will grow. I've been wrong before, is this one of those times?

The engine was run (under load) without oil pressure because the oil drain plug was left loose and fell out dumping the oil. That is bad for many internal parts of the engine and transmission. It now makes noise when running, that it didn't make before. That is a clear indication of damage. You can either keep running it and hope for the best - I wish you luck with that. Or you can tear down the engine, inspect it and make a list of parts that need replacing. My money is on the more the engine is run, the longer that parts list list will grow. I've been wrong before, is this one of those times?

Probably not. I just took it out for a spin and it doesn't sound too good. Sometimes I can silence the clankiness by running it a certain RPM and it shuts up, seems to run very smoothly in 3rd gear and 1st gear if I put the choke in the right position. 4th gear is no good, I get a decent amount of knocking. I guess I will treat it as a scooter until I can figure out exactly what's wrong.

Probably not. I just took it out for a spin and it doesn't sound too good. Sometimes I can silence the clankiness by running it a certain RPM and it shuts up, seems to run very smoothly in 3rd gear and 1st gear if I put the choke in the right position. 4th gear is no good, I get a decent amount of knocking. I guess I will treat it as a scooter until I can figure out exactly what's wrong.
yeah just be careful well riding it like that if for some reason the engine or tranny locks up ur back wheel is gonna just stop doesnt matter what speed honestly if i was u i would take a few day tear the motor down and just check to see what is making all the noise other wise u are bound to break other stuff sooner or later and depending on what breaks you might break youself... as the sang goes check your self befor u wreck your self ... in this case check ur bike lol

Back