82' xs400 cafe racer seat

Joshdonaly13

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of having much first bike built. It's almost done, besides the seat. Idk how to go about making a seat or finding one on ebay that will fit. The back was cut off by previous owner. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20160827_150654.jpg
    20160827_150654.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 412
That's not an 82. In 82 they switched to DOHC and monoshock. That being said if you have a welder and a sewing machine, make a seat. If you don't you could check out dime city or Mike's XS.

It's an '82 XS400SJ. There were both SOHC and DOHC bikes produced in '82.

As for the seat.... Nothing will just "fit", especially with the hack job. You'll need to come up with custom mounts for anything you find.
I'd measure the bike to determine the total length of seat that will physically fit, find one that matches that length, and fabricate mounts when it arrives.
Looks like it'll be tricky with the way the fender has been kicked up.

I just looked on eBay and saw several that you could probably adapt. A lot would depend on your likes and dislikes as far as seats go. I would check out the European cafe racer web sites to see what you can find. I searched for a long time for mine and finally found a guy on eBay in Canada who was building them at home. He only built one style and I don't see him on there any more. No mater what you buy you will almost certainly have to weld some tubing to the frame to help support it.

Back