82 XS400 grinds and gets stuck in first gear.

sharkyzer0

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So im new to this forum so i apologize if i put this in the wrong place or anything. I searched threw the forums and couldn't quite find the same problem i was having so i here i am with my first post lol

I recently bought a xs400 that was sitting in a barn. i tuned up the carbs, flushed the old oil out, replaced spark plugs an plug wires and ignition coil and kicked it over and its been running well till recently, My older brother was riding and dropped the bike. Ever sense then it now makes a loud grinding and clunking noise in first gear and wont move or come out of first. I have to rock the bike back and forth while pushing up on the shift lever to get it to pop back into neutral. But every other gear is fine? Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem? I recently replaced the clutch plates thinking it was that but it didnt fix it and have no idea where to go from here?

I have no idea ill check out how to adjust it. It fell on the left side though. And totally folded the gear selector in half. So i can see it messing up the adjustment. But would a messed up clutch adjustment really only mess with the first gear?

My guess it the shift shaft is bent. Or something in the trans is out of alignment.

Yes, the right side cover for the clutch. Look in the manual for a break down of the assembly. Hopefully it's the shift shaft, as that is a easy fix. If it's in the trans that's a much bigger issue. :(

So i got a look at the shift shaft and it didnt seem like anything on that side of the engine was bent or broken. I checked for any chunks of metal in the oil but didnt see anything. I guess ill try the clutch adjustment and hope thats the problem? :confused:

Back