Slipping clutch

CHolm66-6

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have talked about this problem on another post but I thought it deserved it's own post.
It starter with an oil leak from the drive shaft but I did change the clutch rod seal also and maybe I broke something in the process. Everytime I get to fourth gear (and fifth) and accelerate it feels like the clutch kicks in and I lose gear, when I release the throttle it jumps back into gear again. In the other post people suggested that my oil was bad but I am using this one (see picture)
And if I understood right it's completly fine to use this one. I also adjusted the clutch lever but that was a while ago and the problem came a lot later.
Any ideas or help would be awesome, thanks in advanced
Holm.

PS English is not my first launguage so sorry if the sentence is weird:)

Attachments

• 20230624_192343.jpg
    20230624_192343.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 55
That is great oil (it has MA2 stated right on the front)!

I think you are going to have to look at the clutch itself to make sure the plates are in good condition and that the springs are properly tightened down. How many kilometers does the bike have (if you know)?

That is great oil (it has MA2 stated right on the front)!

I think you are going to have to look at the clutch itself to make sure the plates are in good condition and that the springs are properly tightened down. How many kilometers does the bike have (if you know)?
The bike has 43 000km. I have heard people talking about that, is it a difficult job to do? I don't have a lift or anything I just work in the ground.

It's super easy, no lift required. Pull the right side foot peg, the kick starter lever, possibly the brake pedal, then the side cover. Then just four bolts for the clutch springs. I did it for the first time myself, also on the ground. You'll want to get a new side cover gasket though.

It's super easy, no lift required. Pull the right side foot peg, the kick starter lever, possibly the brake pedal, then the side cover. Then just four bolts for the clutch springs. I did it for the first time myself, also on the ground. You'll want to get a new side cover gasket though.
I have a 1982 12e without a kick but maybe everything else is the same? Also i'll need to drain the oil right?

I didn't have to drain the oil. On the side stand, the oil sits well away from the clutch side cover. Only a few drips here and there. So if the oil is fresh, keep it in there.

Hello! I have not had the time to look into this problem more until now. My father (who used to rides these back in the day) drove and said it needs new plates, good I thought. Now when i'm looking for them I cant find them under 150£ for the kit and when I look on Ebay they sell to a bunch of diffrent XS models but not my 82' XS400 SECA 12e. Does anybody know which bines share clutch and therefore can be interchangable?
Thanks in advanced!

Looks like the DOHC clutches are pricey. Best bet is to use the factory part numbers to search. According to yamaha parts nation, you need:
5 x friction plate 341-16321-13-00
4 x steel plate 2H7-16325-00-00
I would get yours apart and inspect it. Maybe your steel plates are fine so you can at least save yourself some money there.

I would get yours apart and inspect it. Maybe your steel plates are fine so you can at least save yourself some money there.

I second this thought. The friction plates are the most likely to need replacement. There is a minimum thickness for both of these plates to check if they need replacement. For your bike, the DOHC service manual posted on this forum states that normal plates are 3.0mm thick and the wear limit is 2.7mm thick. That is most likely correct, however, that manual also states that there are 7 friction plates and 6 steel plates, whereas the Yamaha parts sources state what @tstidham posted above. I would let your eye be the judge on this one and if the steel plates look good without signs of bluing, reuse them.

Back