82 xs400 Maxim - Finally a bit of showing off.

Sounds pretty good to me. The only comment i would make is at the end of the video it sounded like the throttle was hanging a little bit and taking a while to come back down to an idle but that could be as simple as a small exhaust leak.

those fish tails sound sick.

@Vfost i think the bike would be on choke, free flowing exhaust would also affect the running

those fish tails sound sick.
I know I love it... There was a link a while back about the best sounding xs... I would have entered that prizeless contest with a grin on my eFace :thumbsup:

@Vfost i think the bike would be on choke

You are correct sir! There are some simple issues with it. It's mainly in the carb, I'm taking it to this fine gentlemen who's worked on yamahas (and other brands of course) for over 20 years to let him adjust my carb (so I don't have to and therefore cant screw it up)

Do you think he'd be insulted if I handed him a printed out copy of this?
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html
:laugh:

Other than that when I get the spockets changed and that carb work done MAYBE I'll repaint that gas tank. (which you can see really well 8 seconds into that video) For those of you who miss that story...

Ruined1 said:
...I wanted to start it though and take it down the street just to test the tire...

"CHUG-ah-CHUG-ah-CHUG-ah-CHUG-ah-whirrrr...."
"CHUG-ah-CHUG-a-VROOM" Ran then died...:wtf:
"CHUG-ah-CHUG-a-VROOM" left it almost open throttle... still died.

Damn! Go to get off the bike and diagnose the problem... Unfortunately I didn't see the huge oil puddle under my foot... "OH SHIT *SMASH" and to the ground she went
To top it off, the gas tank leaked while it was on it's side and ruined the freshly painted gas tank for a paint job that took me hours :banghead:

Turns out the clutch push rod seal went bad...

Last edited:
Back