9 digit vin#s

cyclocrossfool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i go to the NJ dmv today to reg my yamaha and honda. the honda goes good but when it gets to the yamaha its a no go. i have a tenn title and on the title is a 9 digit vin #. the dmv tells me there should be 17 (like the honda). she tells me i have to sort it out w/ tennessee. i call the tenn. dmv and they confirm "it should have 17 digits". and the only person who can get it sorted out is the person whos name is on the title (not me).so i says to myself ill just use the wisconsin title i have (dont ask). i go home and check it and it also has 9 digits on the vin. i talking about a xs 400 years 1978 and a 1981. anybody know why these have only 9 digits. is there something the NJ dmv worker is missing? thanks for any help? tom

all the old yam vins are 9 digits. 17 is a new thing

maybe get a letter from yamaha to confirm and let your dmv know.

thats what i started thinking. thanks for the help. maybe the yamaha website? i know the kawasaki web has a section where you can enter the vin and it gives you some info. (i did it w/ a 1982 model w/ 17 digits). so my 82 honda and 82 kaw have 17 and my 81 and 78 title have 9. and i have a 1975 kaw title w/ 8. so that (1982) looks like the year they went to 17. now the hard part convincing the NJ dmv of this

My 1982 only has the 9 digits. I had no problem transferring the title in Ontario but my insurance company had shit fits over the VIN. Invited them to come and inspect the bike but eventually resolved it by emailing them a digital photo of the VIN plate on the steering neck.

Only 9 digits on our 1980 xs400 NJ title. Had no problems transfering the title in NJ just a few months ago. Go to one of the "regional" NJ MVC centers rather than the small local centers. They generally have more experienced people at the regional centers but anytime you deal with NJ state government you have to expect headaches.

Back