A new '81 XS400 Owner

ctrvl

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, just wanted to introduce myself shortly; I've been lurking these forums for a while since I've been shopping about for older motorcycles and you all seem like an excellent bunch :).

Just recently I came upon a very reasonably priced '81 XS400 that had been chopped up and cosmetically butchered, stored for a year, battery iffy, etc. so I jumped on it, got it on a truck, and it's now here at my garage ready to be worked on. Tending the battery right now (though likely I'll need a new one) so I can take it out for a spin.

It's an...interesting build. Rear seat was fabricated out of wood, no seat pan, no battery box, everything just either nailed, zip tied, or something else to the wooden seat. Quite likely I'll have to start looking into aftermarket butt couches, but overall I like what the PO was shooting for on this bike. Just needs some love and improvement.

And since proof is generally required, I've attached a pic (yes, that's a CX500 just behind the XS). Cheers all, looking forward to a lot of fun on this little monster (just from my initial test ride I already like it better than my CX...poor guy)

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 180
welcome!

Don't forget to clean your carbs! :)

And I also like what the PO went for. Those are some aggressive handlebars though, they look cool but I'm happy I have slightly higher ones.

Cheers Willem, thanks for the welcome. I've already downloaded all the applicable manuals in PDF form from this site; what an incredible resource.

Yeah, the handlebars are really low - they actually fit me just fine ergonomically but the turn signal switch bangs into the gas tank so I'll have to see what I can do about that (though I do like the way they feel while riding).

G'day Ctrvl,

Welcome to the forum. I had clubman bars on my bike and it took a bit of tweaking to stop the switch blocks from hitting the tank.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Indeed, a running bike is an excellent start - but I can tell this one's going to be some work. Since the PO didn't have any maintenance schedules and was basically offloading it, I think I'll treat it like it hasn't had any maintenance in a good long time. Starting with cleaning the carbs, replacing gas, full oil change (including forks), and just step through the service manual in the "tune up" section and go to town. Needs a new battery something fierce.

Back