Slow oil leak underneath

futureproof

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is the second season I've been riding the xs400 81' special and since I've had the bike, I've been observing small oil drips (dime-sized) gathering underneath it. When I've gone to inspect in the past, it has been too grimy to determine the origin of the leak, but recently, I was able to give the bike a decent scrub and take a few before / after pictures (See album https://photos.app.goo.gl/1CytiL1hgtHhDLay6)

(the two middle photos are from right after cleaning)

It looks like a lot of the oil is gathering around that yellow wire (not sure what this wire is for). From experience, maybe you guys could tell me where it's most likely to be leaking and whether or not I need something simple, like a gasket, o-ring, etc.(I'll probably buy a gasket kit anyway) or if this is going to require more intensive work :umm:

Thanks all!

Last edited:
You need to remove the engine sprocket cover, clean that area super well, put the cover back on and when you notice a fresh drip after riding, pull the cover again and look for the leak. It is probably coming from one of the seals under that cover and just ends up dripping down onto the yellow wire. The yellow wire is the low oil pressure switch connection to the pilot box warning light.

See the other recent thread about the same issue: Having trouble with oil leaking from the crankcase
Even though it is on a DOHC bike, the process and sources of leaks are the same for the SOHC bikes.

Interesting! I think that sounds like a plan. I'll cross-reference the other thread and report my findings when I have the free time to tackle this. Thanks for your suggestion.

I bought all of these parts directly from Yamaha (I have a thing for Yamaha rubber). Here are the Yamaha part numbers you can use to get them from a Yamaha distributor on-line or for searching for non-OEM replacements.

Clutch push rod oil seal 93102-09245-00
Gear change shaft oil seal 93102-12321-00
Output shaft seal 93102-35109-00
Neutral Switch O-ring 93210-29196-00

I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing the replacement parts based on the other thread:
  • the clutch rod
  • the neutral housing
  • the sprocket seal
  • the shift lever seal
So far I've found this https://www.mikesxs.net/oil-seal-cl...?fits-motorcycle=Yamaha/XS400/all-models/1981 but I'm not sure if it's correct. Do you guys have any good ideas for for sourcing these small parts for particular XS models? Perhaps ebay?
hi .did you get your problem fixed. I have a leak in the same area.

hi .did you get your problem fixed. I have a leak in the same area.
Hi, no I didn't get it fixed. There is another detailed, related thread linked on this thread that you may want to investigate.
I actually sold my xs400 to a friend, so I'm sure he'll be interested in diagnosing this issue at some point. I'll be directing him back to this forum.

I also realized just how expensive these little seals and other parts would end up costing to ship to Canada. It was well over $100 CAD after taxes, duties, and currency conversion. I just couldn't justify it at the time for a few little pieces of rubber.

thanks for your reply. I bought
Hi, no I didn't get it fixed. There is another detailed, related thread linked on this thread that you may want to investigate.
I actually sold my xs400 to a friend, so I'm sure he'll be interested in diagnosing this issue at some point. I'll be directing him back to this forum.

I also realized just how expensive these little seals and other parts would end up costing to ship to Canada. It was well over $100 CAD after taxes, duties, and currency conversion. I just couldn't justify it at the time for a few little pieces of rubber.
one as a project and its driving me nuts .experimenting with different jet sizes etc carbs on carbs off .it has pod filters fitted .trying to get the bike running as well as it can . then I'll tackle the oil leak. hope your friend manages to fix it .my leak is not to bad and could probably live with it.

thanks for your reply. I bought

one as a project and its driving me nuts .experimenting with different jet sizes etc carbs on carbs off .it has pod filters fitted .trying to get the bike running as well as it can . then I'll tackle the oil leak. hope your friend manages to fix it .my leak is not to bad and could probably live with it.
As far my experience with the bike goes, it was a livable situation. When I had to get the bike recertified for a safety inspection the mechanic didn't even mention it, and he's a thorough guy.

Back