Another Oil Leak Thread..

got20z

1977 XS360
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads on common oil leaks on these bikes but I have a leak on my 360 and am having trouble figuring out where it is coming from. Pictured is my leak, you can see the oil drip circled and the picture is looking forward at the back of the engine. Right above the picture (not shown) is completely dry. I just replaced the clutch rod seal and I'm not seeing any leakage there.

Has anybody on here had oil leaking at the rear like this in the same area? After the bike ran for about 10 minutes and the oil warmed up some I had a drip or two on the ground. My side covers are good, I see no leaks there. I don't know how long it has leaked because the bike is a project that I'm finishing up.

Attachments

• 20180412_000829.jpg
    20180412_000829.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 177
A little oil isn't too much of a concern, normal. Youre going to need to clean the engine off with brake cleaner or something to trace it back to where it actually comes from. Its a mess under there. When you start taking side covers off and other things with gaskets, they start to leak after a while, especially oil seals like the oil trap and O-ring around the oil housing.

Also, when engines sit for a long time, seals and things like that tend to degrade some and dry out. When they get heat cycled and oil starts flowing, they may not hold anymore.

Thanks for posting.

I should have waited to get the picture but I actually have the filthy area soaking in some degreaser for the night.

I didn't have this engine apart so for all I know it probably had this issue when I bought it 6 months ago. The engine only has 3400 miles on it but I realize it is over 40 years old. There are probably many members here who have small leaks.

Back