Starter motor installation

Drew

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm very new to working on motorcycles in general, and I'm currently fixing up an old '79 XS400.

I'm looking to install a new starter in the next few days, and I'm a little confused on exactly what is necessary to prevent oil from leaking out from the hole that the starter fits through.

My manual says that there is supposed to be an O-ring in between the starter motor and the drive sprocket, but there's no diameter or part number listed, and my "full gasket set" didn't come with anything that looks like it is the correct size. There was previously a rubber stopper plugging this hole that is a much tighter fit than the starter itself, I'd just like to make sure I'm replicating that seal properly.

I just got the new drive sprocket in, so I'm hoping to get this installed over the weekend, hoping anyone has some insight.

There is an o-ring on the neck of the starter.
Starter Motor 3.JPG

Part number is 1L9-81847-60-00, but it is no longer available from Yamaha. You can use that number to find NOS ones on eBay though, or measure the two mating surfaces and try to find something that fits.

There is an o-ring on the neck of the starter.
View attachment 38060

Part number is 1L9-81847-60-00, but it is no longer available from Yamaha. You can use that number to find NOS ones on eBay though, or measure the two mating surfaces and try to find something that fits.

Thank you so much! My starter does indeed have that o-ring in the neck, I think I'm all set!

Back