A newbie question from a not so newbie

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok heres my delema,last spring I changed my oil but never got the bike running very long.Although I made several attempts to get it running it never made much more than a bike fire or ran no more for than say 20 seconds.My bike is getting stored inside a shed this year and want to know should I just drain the oil,leave it as is?Theres no gas smell to the oil and still looks new.

A long as it inside and never been run it should be ok. Even tho it never ran it still will pick up carbon and other crap from just sitting and only being turned over once in a while. You could drain it and put some cheap oil in it just to keep it clean. It would be a good idea to "fog" the motor with stable or a little motor oil to keep the pistons and valves lubed.

so if your bike hasn't been ran all year and theres no gas in the tank or carbs what about the rubber diaphrams,are they going to dry out and crack?

What I do with all my diaphragms, regardless of sitting or being used, is coat them in a light amount of grease. I use lucas red-n-tacky because it will not dry out and get hard over time. I have sets of diaphragms that have been sitting in carbs for years and are still just as good as the day I put them in.

What I do with all my diaphragms, regardless of sitting or being used, is coat them in a light amount of grease. I use lucas red-n-tacky because it will not dry out and get hard over time. I have sets of diaphragms that have been sitting in carbs for years and are still just as good as the day I put them in.
Hey @xschris, do you apply to to all surfaces? Just the exterior side (closer to the top cover)? Mine are in good condition, but just wanted to make sure they stay that way :laugh:

Back