A123 batteries, easy to conceal and light!

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys not sure if these have been discussed here but for anyone that doesnt know about these great little batteries heres a link to an ebay listing with them:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290627856118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

6 of these cells will easily run a 250 or 400 and would probably be sufficiant for a 600. They weigh like 70grams each so thats 470 grams + whatever housing you decide on...which could end up being glad wrap :) So there is huge wieght savings to made too. I was using 6 of these to start my xs250 when i was getting it going and they provided a strong current, the starter motor came on nice and very strong.

But the great thing is you can lay these out however you want, it doesnt have to be in a conventional rectangle battery housing. These batteries are very small, you could have them all in a line hidden under the seat for example. You just need to hook them all up together like RC batteries.

I have no idea on how long they last because i just hooked them up to start my bike and run it, but i can say 6 of these provided PLENTY of current when fully charged. My brother researched them and put them in his R1, apparantly guys are using them on the track for weight savings. But for us the main advantage would be the concealment possibilities.

Ya those seem to be the same one that were being discussed in a thread I started a week or two ago. They were recomended to me. There were a couple other options discussed there. I beleive my thread was called "battery ideas" if you want to look back a couple pages for it.

I think I'm actually going to use the two six volt batteries wired in series that I mention in that post. They are cheap and small so I can have a spare set sitting at home.

I did notice in that ebay ad that they were refurbished.

Shaun

Sorry must have missed your thread ill check it out. I didnt notice they were refurbished in this listing, i didnt buy any from this particular listing i just found it and put it here to show the battery i was talking about. I used my brothers batteries he bought. Your two 6 volt battery idea sounds good ill go check your thread now. cheers!
Dom

Not sure how you'd run 6, and you don't really need to. They're 3.3v, so you need to run 4 in series to get 13.2v. 4 should be enough to run the bike anyway.

I'd run two 6 volt in series. I'm going to try the 6 volt computer battery backups because they fit best in my space. Although the other ones you mentioned are still in the running. The ones I had found will actually be about half as much aswell (mabey abit more).

Shaun

Back