Abandoned...found a bike in the bushes.

oldgeek

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all! I found this forum soon after i joined the Yamaha owners forum...I think this forum will be better for me.

My story:
I was doing an A/C job at a house, and there was this pile of junk motorcycle in my way. I asked the owner of the house if i could move it out of my way, and he said i could move it all the way to my house if i wanted too.

As i worked, i could not help but to notice the bike from time to time, it was calling out to me "help me". i kind of liked the look of the bike, kinda simple looking, alloy rims, only 2 carbs...So the sucker that i am, i came back to the house on the weekend to load it up.

The story from the man who gave it to me goes like this:
The bike was abandoned by some guys a few years back that lived next door. He said he saw the guys riding it often, but when he pushed it to his house, planning to fix it up, he noticed it was missing some pieces. He never did get around to working on the bike, So he gave it to me, and thanked me for removing it from his bushes.

I assessed the bike briefly, and determined that there is a LOT of work to be done, if it is to be ridden on the road ever again. From what i can tell, someone put paint in the gas tank (a nice light tan color!). The paint did not make it to the carbs, but someone was trying to figure out what was wrong, and removed the right airbox, and the rotor cover. (both items are lost)

Amongst the WEALTH of information on this forum, i have found that i possess a 1981 XS400SH. While it may be too expensive for my limited funds to restore to its original glory, i think i will try to make it ride-able for my wife to kick around town on.

The motor does turn over using the kick starter, i squirted a little oil in the cylinders first, but that is about all it has going for it....Really! The rest is just pure ugly!

I think i will go through the carbs first, to find out if the motor will even run, then i will worry with the rest.

Thanks all, for the help in advance...I will try not to ask stupid questions.

Scotty

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it could be an expensive repair but you know we don't do this to make a profit right. If its not fun why do it. I swear I've already spent more then mines worth but its like my therapy. :)

Just my first thought before you do anything else I would write down your vin number and go to your dmv, not sure where your at but I'm in canada and we have the MTO ministry of transport. I've picked up several bikes with no ownership and if you want any hope of getting it on the road after I'd just make sure its not stolen. No fun spending the money then having the po po take it away.

Shaun

Thanks, you are right...don't want to get too far ahead of myself!
I live in South Carolina...it's pretty easy to get a title for anything here. They give you a "duplicate title" the only catch is that if someone shows up with the ORIGINAL title, they can claim, and get ownership of the vehicle.

Scotty

Not rses certified yet, (EPA unlimited=yes) just got back into the field about 2 years ago. I took full classes back in the 80's, and worked in the field about 4 years before deciding A/C work was too hard. LOL! Damm good thing i had a "trade" to fall back into when i got laid off from my IT job in late 2008, or i would be in trouble.

GREAT link you have in your signature "http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5859"

Really puts things in perspective...The general prices you have listed are a BIG plus.

I have been looking around...do you happen know of a link to some sort of a "how to go through the carbs"?

Thanks,
Scotty

Well, I just posted an album titled "Abandoned" I think that's what i will name the bike.
She's not much to look at, but neither am I:laugh:

It looks like you've got your work cut out for you! But it also sounds like the bike landed in the right persons hands good to see your not just gonna scrap it. You are also in the right place for all of the information and the right people to ask questions of to get it up and running in no time

It's ALIVE !!!!! I got it running!

I finally got through the small but important things that had to be done before the initial run of this beast, and it was worth it. What a feeling! It started up after about 4 minutes of coaxing, with a nice sound! (exhaust completely rusted out from the bottom!)
Now comes the real work. I have been building a list of things that adds up to over a Grand just to get it on the street! This will be an extended project for me.

But first things first. I have to learn how to tune carbs, cause i don't know squat about tuning them. While i got them close enough to get it started, i can tell they are not right at all. It is lean i suppose, because it started popping after running a while, so i shut it down.

Would not have had a CLUE without the assistance of this forum. THANKS!

full

Don't get too carried away with tuning until you fix or replace those mufflers, air box, and carb boots.

That's a crazy story... so crazy that its exactly the same as mine... I do hvac aswell and was working on a customers house and they had a ninja 500ex laying on its side in the mud and they told me to take it. I reside in Jacksonville, NC though. Lol awesome coincidence

Don't get too carried away with tuning until you fix or replace those mufflers, air box, and carb boots.

I was planning to just add some pod type filters to the end of the intake boots (just like drewpy's)
As for the exhaust i just don't know. I really would like to get the 2 into 1 style, but i do not have that much cash right now. I may try to fabricate one myself. I have a plasma cutter, and a wire feed welder, but very limited skills. I also need a decent garage to work in, my shed is full of krap, so any work done on this project is outdoors for now.

That's a crazy story... so crazy that its exactly the same as mine... I do hvac aswell and was working on a customers house and they had a ninja 500ex laying on its side in the mud and they told me to take it. I reside in Jacksonville, NC though. Lol awesome coincidence

Must be a "Carolina" thing LoL!

I bought a pair of emgo shorty mufflers for cheap; less than $50 I believe. They were a royal pain to clamp on, but if you can weld it would be a snap. You'd have to remove the chrome for the weld though. Other people in the past mentioned grabbing used mufflers from other bikes like small displacement ninjas. Again, if you can weld you can attach just about anything.

If you're not experienced with welding it would be much easier, in my opinion, to make a clean exhaust by welding used mufflers on. Making a 2-1 might be reasonable, but it will look ugly as hell. You'd have to wrap the headers to salvage the look and that will cost you another 50 or so.

Using cheap pods is fine if you do what Drewpy did and keep the plastic inlet. You'll need to jet, however, with all these mods.

Stop :/ You guys make me wanna move back to the carolina's. Everyone here in the greater detroit area wants to make a killing off that old bike sitting against the back of there house.

But in all seriousness, good luck with your new project, they are pretty therapeutic to work on. Though sometimes it can be the wrench throwing cussing up a storm kind of therapy. ;)

I bought a pair of emgo shorty mufflers for cheap; less than $50 I believe. They were a royal pain to clamp on, but if you can weld it would be a snap. You'd have to remove the chrome for the weld though. Other people in the past mentioned grabbing used mufflers from other bikes like small displacement ninjas. Again, if you can weld you can attach just about anything.

If you're not experienced with welding it would be much easier, in my opinion, to make a clean exhaust by welding used mufflers on. Making a 2-1 might be reasonable, but it will look ugly as hell. You'd have to wrap the headers to salvage the look and that will cost you another 50 or so.

Using cheap pods is fine if you do what Drewpy did and keep the plastic inlet. You'll need to jet, however, with all these mods.

Thanks for the ideas...there is a harley rally going on this weekend here. I think i will go out and see what i can find on the cheap.

But in all seriousness, good luck with your new project, they are pretty therapeutic to work on. Though sometimes it can be the wrench throwing cussing up a storm kind of therapy. ;)

You are so right! Finding this bike has been VERY good for me. I forgot how much satisfaction there is working on something like this bike. You see, i was born to turn wrenches, work on things, and RIDE! But somewhere along the way i got sidetracked. The crappy, corporate IT job that ended in 2008 sucked the life out of me for the better part of 10 years or so, but i am slowly healing. LoL (no offense meant to ANYONE about IT, IMHO it is not for the "simple man" which is what I am)

I took small engines and automotive courses in high school and dropped out of both of them halfway through to take CAD and graphic design classes. Long story short I ended up doing construction, working at a radio station and then as a flooring installer. My 2 '82 xs400rj's made me change my mind so quick, now I'm in the business of being unemployed because I need to work at my own pace due to health, so I decided now I want to restore old bikes, eventually get certified and open up a shop since nobody around here will touch anything older than 1990. I'm lucky I learned all of this at 20 years old 13 jobs later.

If it makes you happy, do it. There is plenty of money to be made. Just cleaning a bike up cosmetically can dramatically increase the value. The ones you can't save you can part out online.

Back