Adapting a 1981 XS400 carb for a stock 1979 2F

campusxs400

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding jetting. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1979 XS400-2F with about 13,500 original miles. It sat in a garage from about 1984 until a couple of years ago when I got my hands on it. It still had a half tank of gas and the carbs needed a cleaning so I sent them to a guy who advertised on eBay. Well, he did a great job of cleaning the carbs, but he broke one of the float pin goal posts and pinned it back together. Well, it took no time to vibrate apart and flooded the engine with gasoline. Long story short, I just picked up a replacement set of carbs on eBay that are described as: XS400 Special #1201 carbs. My question is; do I need to re-jet these carbs to be compatible with the stock 1979 XS400-2F ? Any comments or recommendations appreciated...

Stock jets for a 2-f is 42.5 pilot jet (you will have to remove the air mix screw caps on the 81 to be able to adjust the idle correct 3 turns out works most of the time) needle set on the third slot( you can use the needles out of the 79 in the 81) and a 132.5 main. If the bike is stock this should work. if the carbs are for an 80-82 sohc xs400 you might have to mess with them to get it right. btw what is your vin number on the bike I have a 2-f as well and was wondering. Any pics?

Hey Chris, Thanks for the feedback on the jetting. I haven't opened the carbs I bought on eBay yet, but the slides look pretty clean. My VIN # is 2V6-001548. I was told the bike was originally bought from Campus Motors in Centereach, on Long Island NY. I don't have any pics yet, but its the same paint scheme as your, black with gold stripe around the tank. It has some light rust on the tank. The fenders and chrome in general have some pitting. If I can get it running well I may repaint the entire bike, fenders included, in the spring when it warms up.

Cool mine is 001578:thumbsup: One more thing on the carbs. The 81 slides are going to be a little larger than the 79's and are not interchangeable.

Back