Adjusting Valves?

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been explained already, but I've looked around and couldn't find anything. My question is, what do I need to take off to get to the valve adjuster nuts? I've read around on how to adjust them and I get that, but never really specified where the nuts are. This is my first bike, and I just want some advice before I start taking things apart that I would regret later... thanks.

These, front and back, left and right. Front are exhaust, back are intake.

valveo.png

..and I'm sure you know now that you can't adjust the valves with the head cove off because the rockers are attached to the covers...others my not know it, though.

I did not know that, I didn't try taking it off, thanks for that info. However, I'm a little confused on where to slide the feeler gauge, is it right below the rocker arm? That's what it looks like from looking at random videos, but its kinda hard to get the feeler gauge in there, it just doesn't look like I'm gettin anywhere. If someone had a picture of the feeler gauge in there, that would be really cool. Thanks a bunch.

On mine I had to heat and bend the gauge to slip under the valve adjuster.

I lowered mine until a firm slip fit, removed gauge feeler and tightened retainer. Done. Don't over think it. Tighten until it pinches the middle of the range... back it off 1/8th of a turn on both and you're done.

Mine responded really well to valve adjustments.

Give us your model and year; that may be enough. I believe only one year is split between SOHC and DOHC.

It is hard to "see" the gap because you're looking at it from above. I'd get a really small feeler gauge (far below the minimum) and poke around until you find it.

Someone should do a "how to" in the tech section. That would be a big help to us newbs, especially since Haynes is not that clear to me. I like to know what I'm doing before I dig in and mess something up.

When you adjust the valves, you're really just adjusting the play in the rocker arm. You can usually just bend the feeler gauge and it should slide in place. Check your manual and try to use the smallest recommended size.
Make sure that the valve springs are not being pushed down, there should be a little play in the rocker arm. Or you could take out your spark plugs and use a flash light in the hole to see when your valves stop moving. Just crank the motor over and you should be able to see them move.

SOHC is single overhead cam, as in one cam works all the valves.
DOHC is dual overhead cam, as in two cams, one for the intake valves the other the exhaust valves.
Leo

Yes. To clarify what I said above...

if you heat the tip of the feeler gauge and bend it at a 30 degree angle, it will slip under the adjuster.

You tighten it until it is a firm fit. To slide the gauge out, loosen only a fixed amount on both sides, like...1/8th of a turn. After removing the gauge, take back up the 1/8th turn you needed to get the gauge out, and you're done. Just make sure you use the same amount of slack to get it out on both sides. It works like a charm. I went from zero to hero on valves in ten minutes after I figured this out. Even Biker Wizard (older bro) was amazed I tackled valves. But it's all gravy. Just heat and bend the tip (maybe half an inch to 3/4 of an inch from the tip) of the feeler so it will reach into the recess. When you're done you can reheat it an slap it flat again. Do it before heating it and you'll break it.

Just took my bike put for the first time tonight and sounds like I have some top end chatter. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow after I pass my permit test!!

Back