after running for a mile bike slithers out and won't start

Zach

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this bike today. It idles great but after running for a mile it will sputter out and die at a stop. It then will not start back up, but if I pull out choke it will start for a second and run at a really high rpm. The battery is brand new, all lights work fine while it is not starting.

Any suggestions where to start?

I'd look for a vacuum leak on the petcock/fuel tank or a gas cap that is not venting. Try running the bike on "prime" and see if you have the same problem.

When this happened to me I was able to get the bike started on the prime setting, but it was revving up very high so I pushed in the knob and kept going until it died again.

I tried adjusting the points using the video (
) The light would not turn on when it was supposed to and after regapping the points and trying again, I was unable to get the points to make any connection. I assumed this meant my points were worn down too much and I ordered a new set of points. I cant understand how the bike would have been able to run at all with the points timing set the way it was.. any ideas?

What you pull out is the enrichener, or choke to some. The prime is on the petcock. It has three position. RES, ON, PRI. that reserve, on and prime. In the RES and ON position gas only flows when vaccum is applied to the petcock from the intake. In prime gas just flows. When the bike stopps put the petcock on PRI, prime. This lets gas to the carbs.
Leo

Do you have a repair manual? If not GET ONE. Read it it explians how to set the gap and how to time your points.
Leo

Back