Aftermarket clutch and brake levers.

briansal

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their lever controls on a front drum brake set up? How did you deal with the brake light assembly. Newer controls that I see don't accommodate the cable. Or is it deleted and brake lights only controlled with the rear pedal. Thanks for your input
Brian.

Last edited:
Hi Brian, I run aftermarket ones on mine and just soldered up blade connectors to my old brake switch wires so it would plug directly into the new brake switch on the aftermarket M/C. Pretty easy job and if you put a bit of shrink wrap on the ends it looks factory :) Just take in your new brake M/C to an electronics shop and match the blade connectors to find what you need, then its just cutting the old switch off and soldering the two new connectors onto the wires, that way its still plug and play with the loom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Levdir would that then be universal. To any bracket lever assembly. Let me know how that works out. Greasy I broke the original one so it was either get a replacement cable for these old levers or upgrade to new ones. I'm just not sure how new levers worked. Would any motor cross levers be usable with a newer style light cable like levdirs link.

Yeah, it should play nice with any normal brake line; just eyeballing the photo the bolt seems to have the same proportions as my stock one. It hasn't arrived yet but once it does I'll try it in my stock MC and see if it fits before I mount the new one.

Im not sure what the switch looks like on the drum model but if you still have the end connector (the end that goes into the headlight bucket) and its usable just harvest that and add your own wire and blade connectors to go onto the new M/C switch. I would upgrade the levers and brake M/C anyway depending on what condition yours are. All it is is two wires coming off the switch and they complete/break the circuit when the brake lever is pulled/released, so it a really simple job to convert over to a new style brake switch.

It is a pin switch that attaches directly to the lever. Pulling the lever pushes in the pin. There is no MC. Similar to the one in my old muscle car pushing the brake pedal pushes a pin turning on the light. I just don't think newer lever accommodate this switch. Unless someone makes a new retro style lever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 107
Ah now I remember theres no connector on the end just the two bullet tips. All you need to do is run two wires from the new M/C switch and plug them into where those two bullet connectors went. So all you will probably need is two male bullet ends, and two female blade connectors and some wire. And some shrink wrap to make it look cool :cool: It was a while since I did it but im pretty sure that's all I did and it works perfect. So all you are really doing is replacing the old style switch for a newer one, which is already connected to the new M/C.

Last edited:
Just be mindful that they are coming from Hong Kong. The set I bought from E-bay said US seller. Ships from California.The est. delivery date was Fri.3/28/14. I ordered them on 3/23/14. I have yet to see them. So I checked and it now says they come Hongkong.

Back