Air Filters....wtf

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is also known as rubbing alcohol. It is often found in first aid kits in individually packaged wipes, or as a clear liquid in a bottle.. Every pharmacy in North America will have it.

As RichieB suggests, hair spray will certainly work for this, just as it does for installing hand grips.

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is also known as rubbing alcohol. It is often found in first aid kits in individually packaged wipes, or as a clear liquid in a bottle.. Every pharmacy in North America will have it.

As RichieB suggests, hair spray will certainly work for this, just as it does for installing hand grips.

Both are very true, but did not want anyone getting in trouble stealing hair spray or raiding the first aid kit for their bike repairs. Figured it would be safe to have a can of stuff with a parts store logo on it!

Well, I've installed my new 2-stage uni filters.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428088090.225202.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428088104.283108.jpg
They are a fair bit bigger than the previous pod filters, but I hope they perform good.

I oiled them up last night with this stuff that the local parts boys recommended. Waterproof, which is nice.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428088170.934946.jpg
Though it was very sticky. I hope it calms down a bit or else I am a bit worried about getting oil residue on the inside of my legs...I might have to put some sort of guard on the outside or something...

As for carb performance, any suggestions as to tuning with these filters and stock rest of the bike?

Last edited:
These are the style of uni's I used a while back. They are 2 1/2" wide and never touched my legs. Of course your seat is different than mine. As for oiling them I have used a 50-50 mix of 2-stroke oil and gas then squeezing out the excess. The gas evaporates over night. For a four stroke street bike you have to be careful not to over oil or use real sticky oil as it will choke out the bike. With the xs360 carbs I had all it needed was stock size jets. The xs400 one may be different. I have them on now but it will be a while before I get a chance to see how they work. Snow for this weekend and cold rain next week:banghead:

Attachments

• user3160_pic4805_1388694038.jpg
    user3160_pic4805_1388694038.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 244
As for oiling them I have used a 50-50 mix of 2-stroke oil and gas then squeezing out the excess. The gas evaporates over night. For a four stroke street bike you have to be careful not to over oil or use real sticky oil as it will choke out the bike.

I didn't know about the threat of bike choke-age.
Turns out the filters do touch my legs when I plant a foot. I think I might take the outer stage off and wash the oil out, keeping the inner foam oiled. That way I wont get any residue it I touch the red with my pants, still have some oiled protection and hopefully won't choke the bike!

Back