Airbox Help Please

BENNO

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I bought this 82 xs400 Maxim at a garage sale as a starter for the wife. The airbox manifolds are shot. Can anyone tell me what the easiest fix is? I'm unable to find new ones but I'd really like to keep things stock as I will likely be selling the bike next year after she a) gives up or b) learns enough to graduate to something a little bigger. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 122
Try googleing the part number and see what comes up. Also check on ebay for the entire air box as it may be cheaper to do that.

Thanks Chris -
Part # is 12r-14453-00-00
Google gets me to a bunch of places that say it's discontinued or unavailable.

Thanks. That ebay link looks like what I need except the manifolds on it look shot as well. I'm going to try to fabricate suitable replacements before surrendering to the pods. It looks like there is plenty of pod advice here which is encouraging. Can anyone tell me if the intake manifolds support the carb & pod weight or does a bracket need to be added?

Do you only need the boots between the box and the carbs? I have an extra set, my bike was missing the box when I got it and the boots were in the bucket o'parts that came with it. They are in pretty good shape, the one is out of round but still very pliable and soft. You can have them for the cost of shipping.

full

full

full

I need the 2 boots and the clamps if you have them. I'll PM you the address so you can come up with a price. I can do paypal or send you a money order.

Not sure exactly how bad yours are in but I've seen people use rtv blue or similar and just coat the rubber to seal any leaks with reasonably good results.

Thanks Rugby. I'll keep that in mind if the ones I get from smurfy71 need a little help. The previous owner mangled these things up running the bike while they were installed cockeyed.

Back