Aloha!

the_kersh

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Aloha all! I recently acquired a 1980 Yamaha XS400. I know nothing about motorcycles and have only ridden as a passenger once, but I am kind of a gear head and the price was right: FREE! My friend purchased it 14 months ago, drained the fluids and disconnected the battery. He shipped it here to Hawaii, put it in his garage and never touched it again. My plan so far is to replace all the gaskets, the spark plugs/wires and the brakes (they were seizing up). Anything else you all suggest I do before topping off all the fluids, reconnecting the battery and trying to start her up again? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

welcome to the forum.

my best advice is to download a manual and read it.

2nd best advice use the search facility for any questions, as they most have all been asked over time.

Failing that, then ask away. don't forget to put your bike details in your sig as there are a few variations and you may get the wrong advice.

start a build/renovation thread for yourself so we can follow it and jump in there when you hit a snag, great way to make friends and get feedback.

Oh and you haven't got a bike till we see a picture ;)

I'll definitely start the rebuild thread! Thanks! I already downloaded the manual and have started reading through it. I am trying to locate the service manual, which someone recommended as being better than purchasing the Haynes manual. Haynes is what I use to repair my Jeep...so that is what I tend to rely on. I have looked a bit through the threads and have seen a bunch of stuff that I will definitely be putting to good use. Looking forward to getting her running! She definitely needs new tires. Any suggestions?

Before sinking time and money into the bike make sure you will be able to title and register the bike in HI. As I recall, you need the title and Bill of Lading from the shipping company to title and/or register an out of state bike in HI. Also, beware of any mods you make as HI has a reasonably strict safety inspection.

I was never able to find a factory manual for the pre-1982 models. No manual is perfect, however.

Yeah...it took me a year and a half to get my CJ legal here in Hawaii. An unbelievably painful process. I have the title...I will cross my fingers and hope my friend still has the bill of lading.

My son is currently attending Hawaii Pacific University on Oahu. We've been there at least once a year for the past 4 years and are planning 2 weeks on various islands when he graduates this spring. I looked into shipping his XS400 cafe racer there this fall but in the end it was just cheaper ($2000 v $3800) for him to get a decent used bike (2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250) on the island.

Not too shabby a place to "have" to visit huh? :) Luckily, when I move I can move it with my household stuff in a container. So I don't have to worry about moving it separately!

Welcome to the forum! Like Drewpy said, there's just about everything that you'd need on here. You may already know, or will soon find out, that we love pictures too.
When you track down a manual, double check the tire sizes. I know they varied through production years. Once you get that, make sure your rims are suitable for tubeless tires, otherwise you will have to source tubes as well. Calipers for the bike can be expensive, so see if you can source a rebuild kit instead.
Outside of what you have mentioned, a good carb cleaning is in order along with an inline fuel filter.

Enjoy!

They are somewhat interchangeable. You can use tubeless tires on a bike that is not suitable for tubeless tires provided that you install inner tubes. Tubeless tires are generally safer because they do away with the inner tube that can burst for numerous reasons (some not in the riders control). There is a little information on tubeless vs tube tires scattered around the site. You would know if you could run tubeless tires by looking for a small stamp on the rim that would say "SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES". Generally, spoke rims are not suitable because of the small space between rim and spoke.

Back