Another carb question! Will only run on full choke and no throttle

OnePhate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got the second seca to start on its own without fluid. But it won't come off idle. Also has the funny habit of not wanting to idle while its leaned over on the kick stand.
Any advice? I checked for leaks at the boots with propane. I think maybe its too rich since the choke causes a lean condition, right?
I just cleaned the carb's very very thoroughly for about the third time and verified no clogs.

Also even after a half hour of idling, if I touch the throttle even in the slightest it dies. bike idles at about 1,800 rpm

Oh and would the fact that I blew my air filter to pieces be the cause of this problem? As in there is no airfilter on it right now.

the choke on these bikes in an enriching circuit therefore causing a rich condition for srarting. If you are missing your air filters, that would be a problem, causing a lean condition. Put filters on and see what happens.

You might look in the carb for the slides locked up,and sand the slides and bores lightly with 400,800,then 1000 sand paper lubed with WD 40. Then clean well with a rag soaked in WD 40 until clean.They will then float up and down. Also flush all the passages out well as you have something wrong with the idle circuit. lha

Check the float height too, but I agree that the air filters can have a profound effect.

Back