Another floar bowl question

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I found that there is some gas seeping out of my rt side bowl. Can I just tighten the screw? I don't want to damage it. I guess tight is to the right like everything else, correct? Or, could it be a float problem like the earlier thread? Thanks alot, have a great day!

Replace your gaskets with oem ones or rubberized. If you have the cardboard ones they tend to leak when they are new and need to be very tight. You can use allen head screws to get them a bit tighter.

The rubber in a gasoline gasket is a more durable breed than the gasket sealant and other rubbers you'll find. Gasoline will eventually destroy even black RTV I've heard. So do it right, even though it means waiting a week.

Go ahead and order them on ebay, you won't regret the new gaskets being gas tight.

Are you talking about the drain screw? If so, maybe loosen it a bit then snug it back up. It could have some trash in it.

or petcock...

Are you talking about the drain screw? If so, maybe loosen it a bit then snug it back up. It could have some trash in it.

or petcock...

Yes I was talking about the drain. I'll check the gasket. I am going to check the petcock filter also. Thanks alot for everyone's help, have a great day!

Yes I was talking about the drain. I'll check the gasket. I am going to check the petcock filter also ...
Good idea.
And do you have an in-line fuel filter? While it wouldn't keep detritus out of the carbs if the it originates in the carb gaskets, it would keep it out if it originates up the line - like at the petcock.

Back