Another pod question

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys Im pretty sure I have some serious vacume leaks coming from my air box tubes and want to get ride of them to install pod filters.Will I have enough room and not have interfernce with the battery box or am I going to need to put my batery in a different place.If I need to remove my battery box and relocate where do I put it.Mine has the rectifier and what i beleive is the brain underneith it.Thanks Aaron

Assuming you have a SOHC, you can buy these

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0035.html

and fit them right on the carbs and have room with stock battery box.

IMG_16301_zps86cb2676.jpg

Makes taking the carbs off alot faster. All you have to do is take off the pods, then the carbs off the boots. 5 minute job.

Prepare to rejet if you do get these... It's alot more air going into the carbs.

Im running open exhaust and been thinking about pods for a while.So I guess I thought ahead.I bumped the mains up 2 sizes and 2sizes on the pilots but have a set of spare pilots that are one size down in case they are too big.

2 sizes up on the pilots is probably too big. I don't think I have heard of anyone needing more than +1 regardless of setup. You may be able to compensate by closing the mixture screws, however. You'll have to test it first.

These motorcycles do not have any computers; The "brain" you see is either a tci box for electronic ignition, the regulator, or the flasher.

I had to bump my pilot jets to 47.5 in my Maxim before I could get a decent idle in cold weather, just above freezing. I have 50's but don't think I'll need them. I'm hoping that the mixture screws will be able to lean out the idle mixture enough during the summer, but if not, it doesn't take long to change jets now.

And for reference my mains are 155, also for cold weather.

Well thats what Im hoping to do if the pilots are too big is just lean the mixture screws.Like I said I have a smaller set just in case.So I`ll see soon.

Its not uncommon for me to ride my bike in temps near 40*Today its almost 60* I`ll be darned my bike still needs work.A ton of guys are out riding..

Back