Another scary noise thread

17 is only there to protect 16 from 18. Shouldn't have any effect on oil pressure.

The only fix is to remove and grind the valve stems - not a simple fix. You are going to have to guess how dished the valves are, and subtract that from the minimum valve clearance. I'd guess 0.005" That should be close. Just make sure the valves have some play when you are done.

Well, I took .0015" off the intake and one thou off the exhaust. It's quieter but not like it should be. So I'm gonna try a new method, using my dail indicator. Should work.

Attachments

• 1495454007112428745112.jpg
    1495454007112428745112.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 124
What do your screws look like? You can get new ones making adjustments more accurate. Remember these bikes will make some noise up top. If your valves are too tight you can burn up a piston.

What do your screws look like? You can get new ones making adjustments more accurate. Remember these bikes will make some noise up top. If your valves are too tight you can burn up a piston.

The intakes were definetly chipped and the valve surface was rough.

Get new screws.

I'm kinda thinking it just needs a whole valvetrain refresh. Cause with the clearances dangerously tight at 1.5 thou and 3 thou it sounds the exact same as it was when clearances were in the middle of spec. It's a very high pitched knocking at 4.5 and 5k under load amd it gets a better the higher the rpms go. It surpasses the exhaust noise at 5k in 6th. And it drives me nuts because I'm worried I'm gonna seriously damage this motor.

Replace the screws and set them .004 intake and .007 exhaust (cold). .005 for the exhaust is too tight. Do the left side first then right. Don't let the motor turn back to hit TDC when you set them. It will give you a bad adjustment.

Replace the screws and set them .004 intake and .007 exhaust (cold). .005 for the exhaust is too tight. Do the left side first then right. Don't let the motor turn back to hit TDC when you set them. It will give you a bad adjustment.

Screws are ordered. And I've been sure not to let the motor spin back. And just to verify, the tdc line is the one right before the "LT" and "RT" letters. Could those screws really be causing that much noise though?

The line right next to the letter is your TDC.
DSC03244.JPG These motors are not quiet. Even your first video was not that bad. If you have never owned one or driven this type of motor it may sound loud. I have five of these bikes and logged almost 26k miles so I know how they sound. Keep an eye on any oil usage or smoking. That will tell you if something is bad.

The line right next to the letter is your TDC.
View attachment 29486 These motors are not quiet. Even your first video was not that bad. If you have never owned one or driven this type of motor it may sound loud. I have five of these bikes and logged almost 26k miles so I know how they sound. Keep an eye on any oil usage or smoking. That will tell you if something is bad.

Ok, yeah this is my first Xs. And my first sohc bike. I owned a dohc gs300L for a while but I only rode it a couple times. But I'll keep an eye on things. The noises just seemed a little violent, not the soft rolling rattle I expected.

You also have non factory exhaust with less back pressure than stock. You will have more noise than it should.

Back