Another wont start thread???

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First I would like to thank you all for getting me up to this point but now I have to start it. It has a nice whitish blue spark, ok compression about 120 on each cylinder, and took apart and cleaned the carb 3 times. It has pods and currently no exhaust (in the mail) and still refuses to start. I thought the problem was with the coils meaning I had the wrong wire to the wrong place but according to xschris on my 80 special the grey wire is on the left and the orange on the right. When I take off the pods I get a distinct feel of gasoline on the slides but still no start. I have 145 mains and stock pilot I no that is currently to lean but I just wanted to hear it start b4 I get the exhaust. Please help:(

What do the plugs look like? Are they wet with fuel? Do you have fresh gas or stale? Is the battery charged? Have you tried boosting it with another battery?

They are brand new plugs so they are clean but it's interesting how they don't even smell like gas maybe the carbs aren't even getting gas to the combustion chamber. And it's gas I just got from the station 93 octane. The battery was full when I started but had gone down so I have been jumping it with a car battery. I got it to pop with some fire out of the exhaust using starter fluid sprayed on the filters.thanks for the reply

sounds like your bike is in the desert where fuel is converned. it could be that the needle valves are stuck in the closed position or the floats are maladjusted. if u are getting good spark on both cylinders and a pop from it with starter fluid then its been starved of gas. revisit the carbs again and give it another go also u could try pushing in the choke full while u crank it so what happens

Try a couple of drops of gas in each spark plug hole, then put the plugs back in. Petcock set to reserve or prime. Full choke and no throttle and see if you get a bark of life from her.

I agree with Salty. Sounds like fuel delivery problems.

Does the bike have points?

Are you twisting the throttle when you start it?

Is it kick start or electric?

Did you check the float bowls to see if they are getting fuel?

Have you checked the timing if it is applicable to your model?

I have narrowed it down to the carbs and took them of and raised the float level to about 29. It now has gas pouring out of the filters and some of that makes its way to the combustion chamber and pops so that's good. Now I just have to figure out why the carbs won't let out gas normally. I checked the jets and all the passages and they are clean. It does not have points (electronic ignition). It pops only at full throttle. B4 I changed the float height the bowl had fuel I guess not enough:shrug:. It's electric start. Thanks again

Clean (or replace) the needles, seats and floats. And clean the carbs. Then clean the carbs again! Then set the floats as the manual suggests.

There is no such thing as "too clean" or "clean enough" when it comes to these carbs. Use the search function to find suggestions on cleaning the carbs. This topic has been covered in detail.

Hint: probe all carb passages with a fine wire, clean again and blast high pressure compressed air through them all. Then repeat as as required until you are certain of perfection. Then repeat! It took me over 10 hours per carb in an ultrasonic cleaner with a mild acid cleaning solution to get my carbs clean. Just DO IT!

The throttle should be closed when starting if you want the pilot circuit to work at all. If it isn't working the circuit is probably clogged or your idle mixture screws are not far enough out. If you're SOHC like me your float height should be about 26 mm.

Watch my little video and watch for the comment on the second tang being bent. One tang is used to adjust the float height, but there is a second one that adjusts how far the needle drops open. It is present on brass floats, but may or may not be present on a different style.

If this doesn't work your float needles may just need to be replaced.

I attached a photo pointing out the second tang as well.

Attachments

• bs34_tab_bent.jpg
    bs34_tab_bent.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 92
Thanks again for the replies. @16VGTIDave I originally set the float level to 26 as per spec and the floats and their needles worked perfectly but I was just trying to change it as a last resort. I am defiantly going to clean those carbs real good with wire and compressed air again before I put them back on. @bcware yeh I did notice that side/post tang wasn't exactly sure what it was so thanks.

Good news!!! After spending several hours cleaning the carbs and then switching the coil wires I was finally able to get it running. Its late around here so the tuning will have to wait until a different day. Thanks very much.:bike:

Back