ANTIQUE License Plates!

Baller67

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So here in Nova Scotia Canada, all motor vehicles require a yearly, or bi-yearly "Safety Inspection"....
The Province sets up mechanics to do the work, for a fee, and if you speak to the mechanics, they HATE doing these "inspections" for the government, as it it eats time, and is a paperwork pile of nonsense.
Oftentimes, they have to spend an hour dealing with it, for a tiny fee.
But, to legally register, and insure your bike, it is the deal.
Enter the ANTIQUE License Plate!
A one-time "Certificate of Mechanical Fitness", and a bike older than 30 years (XS400!)
and you forego all "Safety Inspections", and your renewal fees drop, as does your insurance!
Got my plate today, beyond stoked!
Anybody else find this amazing loophole in their Province/State?!

here in holland we have a similar thing, any vehicle older than 25 years is considered an 'oldtimer' or classic. There is no safety inspection for bikes (yet) and old cars still have to be checked every other year or so. But yea I'm waiting patiently for the day my XS400 turns 25 :) its from 89 so that will still be a little while

insurance is a lot cheaper on an oldtimer, and no road tax is due... would save me about 120 euros a year alltogether

I am eligible for antique plates in Indiana, USA for my '79. I could even use an original 1979 Indiana motorcycle plate if I could find one.

[edit] And remembering that, I just bought a 1979 Indiana motorcycle plate on eBay. $9.99, free shipping. I'll either use it or hang it in my office.

In Michigan any vehicle car or motorcycle over 25 years old is considered a historic or antque so I alread have my historicle plate.It only cost $25 usd but I still have to get my bike inspected every year which is stupid.Cars are exempt from any kind of inspections.We also have to pass a noise decible inspection.

Last edited:
In Germany a bike can be registered as an oldtimer when it is older than 30 years. My XS is 33 now.

But there is a little problem...
For "new" bikes taxes are calculated by cylinder capacity and for oldtimers there is a fixed tax. That fixed tax is quite expensive, so it only makes sence to make your bike an oldtimer if it has more than 750 cc. I am not sure if there are oversize pistons of that size...:D
Oldtimer insurance cannot be much cheaper than it is now for not even 40 HP.

There are other disadvantages. The bike must be in an "near original state". Only costum parts for the years when the bike was new are allowed. And as far as I know we still have to make some kind of technical inspection. At least to check if it is still in an oldtimer like condition. And officially you are not allowed to drive for everyday use.

So there are only few oldtimer bikes in Germany. But lots of cars.

In Kansas a vehicle that is 35 years or older is antique and can get an antique tag, only $11 a year in fees! But the vehicle has to be basically original, no engine upgrades, frame chops or parts from a vehicle that is not the same vintage, but nobody checks it sooo......

or if you can find a vintage tag then it can also be used (as long as nobody else is using the same #)

Another nice aspect of a 35 year old vehicle is, in the state of Kansas, a bill of sale is proof of ownership, no title needed! (as long as the VIN doesn't come back as stolen)

That's rad HoughMade that you can use a plate from that year!
Up here the plate renewal fee is cheaper, the insurance is cheaper, and no yearly safety inspections make the Antique plate an amazing deal.

no safety check in washington state whatsoever.. except those rebuilt junk cars..
but we do have emission check bi-yearly for cars
luckily, not for bikes :D
and for the bikes those older than 25 years, we can get collectors plate
which means no annual license fee forever, and that costs even less than the tab fee for $10 bucks

Back