Any way to tell which mufflers wont need rejetting?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I wanna replace the stock mufflers on my bike...they are pretty rusty in some spots and Im trying to find something almost OEM. Is there any way to tell which mufflers wont cause me to change the settings on the carbs? Anyone have experience with any certian mufflers? If so can you post a link to them?

Also Im running stock air boxes and exhaust right now

I have a MAC 2-into-1 exhaust and I didn't have to rejet my carbs after the switch. It probably wasn't running optimally, but it ran. Since then I have gone up in size.

i have 2 bikes a 78 and a 79.. we ended up putting on Pod airfilters on both. the 79 has stock exhaust and the 78 has shorty chrome straight pipes with baffles (it sounds great to be honest) Although I have adjusted the carbs and idle screws I have not changed jets on either. Now I have no idea if someone before me has done anything to them I have not.

Both bikes spark plugs are a nice tan/brown color like it is supposed to be so it seems to be running correctly? We are at about 2200ft above sea level here not sure if that makes a difference either?

Every bike is different as are non oem exhausts. Even the stock bikes used different jets/settings from year to year. Any changes could affect the bikes fuel needs and or settings. You will just have to adapt the bike to what ever you get.

Every bike is different as are non oem exhausts. Even the stock bikes used different jets/settings from year to year. Any changes could affect the bikes fuel needs and or settings. You will just have to adapt the bike to what ever you get.

True, but the same can be said of living at various altitudes, humidities, etc.

I've been thinking about it, and I would say that most exhausts that maintain a muffler should not need a rejet. If the pipe diameter stays the same, and the muffler maintains similar backpressure, then there's no need to rejet. Pod filters affect how much air can get in, and exhaust affects how much goes out, but pods have a much greater effect than exhaust when one is done without the other.

Regardless, jets are not tough. Get an exhaust. If you have flat spots, or are sputtering due to extreme lean-ness from your extreme exhaust, then get a bigger main jet for $6. Problem solved.

Back