are my carbs flooding?

housecat3

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
alright o my bike will start up, i had just replaced the fuel line because the last one had been leaking. i have been told that the carbs were re-built, weather or not thats true im not sure. could it be the float pin sticking? once the engine gets up to about 2 rpms. the bike chokes and dies. so any opinions would be awesome thanks.

smart @ss

Usually of the carbs are flooding, gass will pour out the air filter when it is on the center stand. Is the oil thin? Does the oil smell like gas? There are many things that could cause the bike to die at 2(000, I'll assume) RPM. However, if it is idling, I'd guess that it's not gas pouring in.

not sure what kind of oil is in the bike right now, what would you recommend? also the bike is not on the center stand when it is leaking. and yes, 2,000 rpm's...i thought it was a given haha.

alot of us use 15-40, diesel oil, Shell Rotella-T off the top of my head. I did read something that said to use a different flavor of oil based on temperture.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6344
That thread will start you on that one.

Just cause the carb is rebuilt, there is still chances that things may be broken, like my bike, the float was damaged. so I had to replace it. I didn't figure that one out for quite a few carb cleanings.

Back