Assembly Question

Cysquatch

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reassembling the front end of my 80 xs400. I didn't pay much attention when disassembling, so I hope someone can help me out. I noticed opposite of the drum side. there is a space between the lower fork and the wheel. Is this supposed to be there? Am I missing a spacer? Looking at the exploded view I don't seem to be missing anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG

4 is the bearing in the wheel, 5 is the seal in the wheel, 45 is a dust shield that attaches to 44 that is a bushing. 42 is the cotter pin that goes into the nut after it's torqued to 75 lbs.

4 is the bearing in the wheel, 5 is the seal in the wheel, 45 is a dust shield that attaches to 44 that is a bushing. 42 is the cotter pin that goes into the nut after it's torqued to 75 lbs.

Thank you very much for our reply. I didn't word my question very well, sorry. So what has me concerned is there is a space between the inside of the fork and item #44. I forgot to take a picture of it last night.

This is how it should look. Keep in mind when tightening the pinch bolts you need to do the front one first then the rear (14.5 lbs torque) This will leave a small gap facing the rear. There is an arrow on the lower part of the cap that should face forward. Make sure it does. I think this is all in the manual and stated on other threads in the forum. I know I have a answered this many times in the past. When you assemble it all, I first snug the axle nut then the pinch side.
DSC03811.JPG DSC03812.JPG DSC03813.JPG All front drum brake xs400s' are this way.

Im sorry for asking a frequently asked question, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything. Thanks very much for the pictures, it answers my question perfectly. Again thank you very much

Back