Backfiring and running on 1 cylinder

lowpunk

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ok, what have i missed. I know its not getting gas on the left side or at least not getting enough(backfires=lean). I have open exhaust, pods, Airfuel are at 3.5, pilots are 45, and air jets are -3 sizes(can't think of the exact #'s) and floats are at 26mm. Last year i had it running and tore it apart again becauase it was running like crap when cold and when on the primary circuit. The floats were set to manual so that was changed(thanks to this forum) and the airjets were waayyyy under sized. I tore them apart again this weekend and cleaned the passage ways with carb cleaner, first the air then the gas until i say fluid streaming out the airfuel hole and also the 3 holes by the butterfly. It start sooo much better since i adjusted the floats to 26mm and got the air jet closer to stock. I've checked for air leaks but can't find any. Since i can kinda get it to idle on the one cylinder i popped the pod off and choke the air inlet with my hand and the left fires like a champ. I tried to cheat that side just to see if i can get it to run by putting a wristband over the pod to to further restrict the air but no dice. What am i missing. I've cleaned and cleaned but nothing. I'll clean again but was wondering if i'm missing something. Any ideas? Let me know if i'm missing any info too. thanks a ton in advance and this site has been a ton of help already and i wished i found it much sooner!

Last edited:
Have you synced the carbs yet? Also I would leave the air jets on the front of the carb stock witch are 170 in the 77-79 carbs and 155 for the 80-82 carbs (sohc)

I do have the old 155 jets so i'll toss them back in after a good cleaning, wouldn't that make it run leaner though? I synched them last year but can do it again but would i need both side to be running to sync them?

well son of a gun!!!!!! It was the small passage way in the bowl. original air jets replaced and runs like a f'n champ!!!! Took it for a few mile spin and it ran great! I'm having a taillight issue and a couple of small things but running wise it runs great! So excited and thanks.

well son of a gun!!!!!! It was the small passage way in the bowl. original air jets replaced and runs like a f'n champ!!!! Took it for a few mile spin and it ran great! .

they are not air jets, but fuel jets. air jets are at the back near the carb mouth.

Just needed to clarify before another reader picks up the jargon :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I believe its a grounding issue? I have a Model A taillight and I'm popping bulbs after not a lot of use. I think they are internally grounded and am not sure if my mount is grounding it as it needs. Not a big issue so it shouldn't take a long time and have to get a sec to check it out. It was getting late and just didn't have the time to do so last night.

they are not air jets, but fuel jets. air jets are at the back near the carb mouth.

Just needed to clarify before another reader picks up the jargon :thumbsup:

No i had different air jets in there. On a different forum(prior to findin this one) someone said that they had changed out the air jets and that helped these carbs as did Mikes XS so i changed mine. Yes, my mains and primarys were changed too but so were my airjets.

How many wires come out of the tail light? There would be 3 if one is a ground wire. If you only have 2 wires it could be grounded by the mount.

I'm pretty sure it has 2 like you said which would make it mount grounded. I frenched in a set of '40 chevy's in a car and didn't have a good ground due to it being internally grounded and had a similar problem which makes me think this is the same issue. Honestly i just parked it and was so elated about the ride i didn't even care to look. It could be a vibration issue too which can be fixed simply enough with just rubber mounting the light pod.

Thanks!! this site f'n rules. I wished i found it a few years ago, the bike would definately been on the road a lot sooner!

Back