Bad breaks / break handle comes to bar

overpl

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem - i had a bad breaks and asked about 2 disks breaks, but someone here told me that I should just clean my breaks.

So I've change pads, cleaned whole break including piston - and get rid of whole air there, and now my handle comes so close to bar that it actually touches the bar. So when I have 2 fingers on bar I can't break properly:/ I don't know what can be wrong there:/

+ bonus question - I had some sort of spring there - a wire in rubber tube (small one) - what was that? I didn't see this kinda things in any other breaks... Is it necessarily?

By pump, i assume you mean the master cylinder at the bars. Unless there is a leak I don't see why you would have to. If the system is full and there is no air, the lever shouldn't be able to be pulled that much.

Bleeding your brakes is easy and cheap so do that before you spend money on a rebuild kit or anything else.

You replaced pads and cleaned the caliper now your lever touches the bar and doesn't apply enough brake pressure? Bleed your brake! Top off your cylinder, put lid on, open bleeder pull handle brake, hold it there, tighten bleeder, repeat until all air and sputter is gone! Make sure you don't run out of fluid while doing this, you will not need to bleed that much. Once you're done, close up the bleeder and pump the break until its gets firm. Top off fluid again if needed.

So the only reason to repair master cylinder is leak? Maybe its not getting fully open??

So the only reason to repair master cylinder is leak? Maybe its not getting fully open??

There is a chance that the master cylinder is broken, but what your describing is a classic sign of air in the lines.

It's the easiest thing to check for and should be the first. If you bleed the brakes a couple of times and it's still not working, then you can look to master cylinder etc.

also make sure your brake handle adjuster screw is pushing fully on the master cylinder. I tend to have mine with very little slack because the xs brakes (especially on my 250) are very average.

To get rid of the air I need to take of the master cylinder cover or just unscrew?

Look at the step by step I posted on bleeding. Fill your master cyl w/ fluid, replace cap! Then bleed as I explained. I do it w/ cap on so no chance of air getting in or getting fluid all over.

Thanks guys - just one more thing - I asked about this strange spring or sth like that.. it is i believe a spring in a ruber tube ended at both sides straight.. Is it even from my front brake?;] What is that for?

Kill me, I dunno :/ its just popped out from caliper:/

I don't see that part in my model parts catalog with diagrams.

Also - does anybody knows are seals are the same in 12E DOHC as well as in 2A2, Gsth, 400S etc? Because on Polish market I can find literally repair kits for every XS model except mine:|

I would look up your caliper on partszilla website,they have a good diagram that you can look at that should help you with the mystery spring.Front brakes were on my list of things to do.Since my brake lever broke off it will wait till I can get it welded.

If your brake lever is soft and the pressure in the system is not building you have one of two things happening:

Air in the system
Leaky seal that doesn't hold pressure

If you have no leaks that are visible, you may have a leak inside the master cylinder. This can be a bad rubber seal, or the inside of the cylinder bore not being smooth.

Bleeding the front brake is not that hard, I've done it in 10 minutes after replacing the hose and the master cylinder. At this point I would think the master cylinder is bad.

When you cleaned it, was the inside smooth and shiny?

Your mystery spring - can you post a picture?

About the picture - I'll if I find it in my friends garage:/

About bleeding - I've just came back from doing it - after 15 minutes I figure out that I did it 'properly' few days ago - 0 bubbles and the effect.. I don't know.. maybe slightly better but still - new break pads, steel hose, and it works like shit...:/
I don't know what is the condition of master cylinder - I'll use repair kit tomorow - I bought it for about 15$ - whole new cylinder kit. Maybe this brakes are so bad... but honestly, I don't feel safe even breaking from 50kph..

I'll use repair kit tomorow - I bought it for about 15$ - whole new cylinder kit. Maybe this brakes are so bad... but honestly, I don't feel safe even breaking from 50kph..

Good plan.

The brakes on XS, when they are working correctly, are just fine to stop the bike very quickly.

I bet you either have dirt stuck to the cylinder bore, or the rubber rotted. 30+ years is a long time for rubber.

But you think it will pass after changing the cylinder kit or there is a chance that this is 'something else' ? Because i think that the disk is fine.., hose is brand new, pads new, I don't think that the handle would change anything.. caliper is clean now... so either lack of dust seal is a problem (doubt it) or damn cylinder kit, right?

Back