Battery fully charged but no power.

yamyam

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I pick up my first motorcycle this week and its a 83' xs400. The bike isn't running so I thought I would first start with getting a battery (bike didn't come with one). I fully charged the battery last night and put it in the bike today. I expected that when I turn the key from off to on I would see some signs of power but I have nothing. I'm not sure if I'm totally missing something silly or what?

Things I've checked so far...
- checked that battery is actually charged and yes it is.
- checked that +/ - are on proper battery posts.
- Checked bank of fuses under seat right near battery and all are good.

I'm stumped on what to do next, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome fellow Canuck!

Grab a multi-meter or test light and see if you have power going into and out if the ignition switch.

I ran into problems a few weeks ago with intermittent electrics and it was corrosion in the ignition switch.

HTH,
Dave

Hi there, I pick up my first motorcycle this week and its a 83' xs400.
Sorry I have nothing I can offer when it comes to electrics. I'm the guy who boiled my battery dry. What Dave has suggested sounds like the right approach though.

What I can do is say hi and welcome to the Forum. Also, install a $2 in-line fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs before you start it first time. You may luck out like I did and not have to boil your carbs in lemon juice.
Do you have a dohc Maxim or a Seca?

Also, the fuse boxes on these old bikes will lose their spring, and might not be contacting hard enough to let current flow. Turn key on, make sure bike is on run, then "squeeze" the main fuse between the two prongs, see if you get and lights or anything. Ultimately this fusebox should be replaced with a new blade style box

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I've finally found some time today to look at the bike and the wiring problem seems worse than expected. I will keep you posted on my progress when I grasp what the issue is. One thing that would help would be to be able to ID my bike which I'm having a hell of a time doing. I've looked on that bike ID thread countless times and still can't fugure it out. The bikes vin is 2L0-071514 so if anyone can be of assistance in finding out the year and model that would be awesome.

...I've looked on that bike ID thread countless times and still can't fugure it out. The bikes vin is 2L0-071514 so if anyone can be of assistance in finding out the year and model that would be awesome.
Any vehicle manufactured after 1981 has a 17 digit vehicle identification number so if it is an '83, it should have a 17 digit code starting with JY.
If it is correctly designated as an '83, it should be a dohc - either a Maxim or a SECA.
Check the cover plate behind the shift lever. If it's a 5 spd it's a Maxim, a 6 spd and it's a SECA.
If the engine is a sohc then I think it is registered incorrectly (see pics attached).

Attachments

• sohc looks like this.JPG
    sohc looks like this.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 168
  • dohc looks like this.JPG
    dohc looks like this.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 156
I guess '83 is the year it was first sold, but not manufactured.

2L0 should be this:

XS400E 1978 400 XS400 Street 2L0
XS400F 1979 400 XS400 Street 2L0

Hi there, I pick up my first motorcycle this week and its a 83' xs400. The bike isn't running so I thought I would first start with getting a battery (bike didn't come with one). I fully charged the battery last night and put it in the bike today. I expected that when I turn the key from off to on I would see some signs of power but I have nothing. I'm not sure if I'm totally missing something silly or what?

Things I've checked so far...
- checked that battery is actually charged and yes it is.
- checked that +/ - are on proper battery posts.
- Checked bank of fuses under seat right near battery and all are good.

I'm stumped on what to do next, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with the wiring mess. If you just got a new battery keep it charged up every now and then (or trickle charger left on it) to not waste a perfectly good battery. If you started "with getting [just any old used] battery", batteries will lose their acidity with time and it can be charged to full 12-13 volts all day but won't be any good.

Back