BC/Canada Laws and Bobbers

sixthgear

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in BC had issues with the law while riding your bikes (specifically to do with the bike, not that you were robbing a bank at the time.)

I was looking at the MVA and most of the stuff I want to do appears to be ummmm, against the law.

Ryan

Hi I'm up island from you :)

I looked into the laws a bunch of years ago. First of all, when I looked you had to buy a copy of the motor vehicle laws from the Queens printers. Verry expensive but the only information that will stand up in a court of law. I never did buy a copy but the info I did find basically said keep your bike stock.
I specifically was curious about a side mounted tailight and licence plate bracket. It gave you minimum and maximum hights as well as an angle at whith it still could be seen. To my supprise the lamp on my bone stock Harley was below the minimum hight??? Which made no sense to me. Also all motor vehicles must have a properly functioning muffler. This makes 99% of all the Harleys on our roads illegal.
I guess what I am saying is that the Police have better things to do than pull people over for minor infractions UNLESS..... you have given them a reason to pull you over.

Unless you ride like an idiot (fast and irratic) or your bike is unsafe ( no front brakes) you should be ok. You take your chances!

What exactly do you want to do to your bike?

In addition to those of your own province the Department of Transport (Ottawa) also has federal standards for motor vehicles to be met, not that we are overregulated or anything.

What you are planning doesn't sound too bad to me.
How many Harleys to you see with open pipes ,chopped fenders and relocated tailights? They never seem to get pulled over and are a lot more loud than our bikes ever will be, so I see no reason why you would get pulled over. BUT ...they could if they wanted to!
You have to decide if you want to take the chance.
I am pretty sure that the tailamp and signals that I am going to put on my bike "technically" wont meet the letter of the law but I'm not worried about being pulled over. I am more worried about the drivers behind me!

Back